-
Yet ANOTHER HDD install problem
Firstly, I'm new to linux in general, but so far have been trying Mandrake out and now want to dual boot it with Knoppix 3.6. I'm trying to install it onto a separate HDD, so losing any information is not a problem.
I have had a look through this forum and was unable to find this problem, but if i missed it i really am very sorry and you can feel free to point me in that direction.
Here is what happens: I boot into knoppix and then ctrl+alt+F1 to get into the terminal (?, not sure what its actually called), I then type su to get root (I've also tried without that, which makes no difference) and then type knoppix-installer. Once it comes up and I do my configuration step I click on Install and after saying Yes to the warning screen it then gives me this error:
Error: Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ext3: Useage: mkfs.ext3 [-c:-t:-] [-b block-size] [-f fragment-size] [-i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [-J journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes]
If I click on partition HDD in knoppix-installer it tells me it cannot open the hdd, i do not have read/write permission. I have tried installing it with the HDD as one large etx3 partition, and also with a 3gig/150meg/rest of drive config, and that does not work.
What am I doing wrong
I have tried on a separate computer and get exactly the same error. Perhaps I am missing something simple? I really am a TOTAL linux noob.
Similar Threads
-
By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
-
By NoviceW in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By dobell in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 10:25 PM
-
By jfitie in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
-
By gilljohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77