Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installed Windows and LILO was erased

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36

    Installed Windows and LILO was erased

    Hi, I'm sort of new to this Linux thing, I had my Linux system installed previously and working fine. I also had windows, but it had too much viruses and I decided to format my computer(the C drive FAT32). Linux is using EXT3. So i formatted the drive C, and reinstalled Windows, which went ok, until I reboot, I found out that LILO was not displayed there, so Windows started automatically. I backed up some files in my root folder in LINUX, and now I can't access them. I tryed loading a temporary OS from the Knoppix CD to just copy the files I needed to the windows partition, but I can't access them since they are on my desktop as a root account, and some message displays something like "NOT ENOUGH PERMISSIONS TO READ THAT FOLDER". I really need those files, please if you know a way I can get them back, or a way to put LILO again it would be really nice. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    To access your files on the linux drive.
    From a console:
    su <enter>
    mount /mnt/hdax where x is the partition number of your linux root.
    You are root now,do what you want.
    To restore lilo
    From a console:
    su <enter>
    mount -o dev /mnt/hdax
    chroot /mnt/hdax
    lilo -v
    Ctl+D to exit the chroot

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36
    Thank you, that really helped me

Similar Threads

  1. Installed windows and grub was messed up
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
  2. LILO installed to wrong MBR?
    By foamrotreturns in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
  3. External hd keeps getting erased.
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:42 PM
  4. I've lost the drive I installed on, how to remove lilo?
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.60



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



NEW SGIN 18.5

NEW SGIN 18.5" Laptop Intel Core i3-10100Y 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RJ45 USB-C Win11

$402.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$117.45