Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Linux beginner - how to add new packages?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    Linux beginner - how to add new packages?



    I just started learning Linux. Knoppix is really great for this purpose. There are two packages that I really need when using Linux: g77 (gnu fortran compiler) and gmake (gnu make). g77 was in Knoppix v3.1, but not on v3.2. make is included in knoppix, but, not gmake. So, I would like to customize knoppix by taking some games out and add these two packages in. Can anyone explain in steps how this can be done? I will assume that I can simple get the binary versions of these two packages from Gnu ftp site, right? Can I get the rpm version and use it? If yes, how do I install the rpm version and add them to Knoppix? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    I would start at the KnoppixRemasteringHowto and see if there are debs for the packages you ar looking for.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6

    Re: Linux beginner - how to add new packages?

    Try this as root user

    apt-cache search g77 (or some other description)
    apt-get install packagename

    It is also possible to convert the rpm to a .deb package with the alien command.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2
    I am looking for the same answer, basically I would like to install a package on my user space.

    So far, I believe that the only way to do it is to basically remaster a new iso and bur your custom disk. (not easy but not that hard eaither)
    alx.

Similar Threads

  1. Beginner
    By WJensch in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:24 PM
  2. amsn (beginner)
    By fabiand in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
  3. What book for a Linux Beginner
    By cwolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 04:01 AM
  4. Beginner please help!
    By Arishon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 08:32 AM
  5. Beginner needs opinion(s)
    By skizee in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Kingbox 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory picture

Kingbox 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory

$369.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



A-Tech 128GB RAM (2x64GB) DDR4-3200 - PC4-25600 ECC Registered - unable to test picture

A-Tech 128GB RAM (2x64GB) DDR4-3200 - PC4-25600 ECC Registered - unable to test

$1000.00



Ballistix Ram Ddr4 8GB picture

Ballistix Ram Ddr4 8GB

$60.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$160.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM RAM Kit Intel XMP 2.0 picture

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM RAM Kit Intel XMP 2.0

$144.00



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V

$72.99