Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting Knoppix from CD problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Booting Knoppix from CD problem

    Can anyone help a newbie, I have downloaded and burnt onto a cd Knoppix. It is supposed to run from the cd but it only gets so far into the boot then my monitor goes blank and ther is no signal to the monitor. I have a Tandberg TFT monitor if thats any help.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You're not giving much information, like even just how far it's getting into the boot. If you're not getting to the first prompt then I would guess an improper burn or even a bad md5 sum on what you downloaded. However, if you got to the first prompt (I'm guessing you did) then you could have different issues. While you could still have a bad CD (particularly if you burned it at a very high speed), you most liikely need to use some sort of "cheat codes" as you boot. Knoppix 3.4 is much worse about this than early versions (in 3.1 I needed no cheat codes, in 3.4 I need two different ones or I can't boot and hang like you do). In my case I need "knoppix noscsi acpi=off". You can try that, but you might need different codes. I know of no good way beyond trial and error to find what code or (much worse) what codes you might need. Sorry.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Harry, The CD works O K on my laptop and also on a friends computer but not on mine. You mentioned cheats, how and when would I use them. While I have no problem working around any windows O S Linux has me completly flumoxed so I dont want to try a full instal until I am completly confident. Thanks for replying Harry, If you could just advise me on the cheats I would be grateful. George

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    As Knoppix boots, a few seconds in, before Tux and the hardware detection stuff starts up, you'll get a prompt. If you do nothing it only waits a few seconds then goes on with the boot. You can type the cheats tere. Best is to hit F2 or F3 and look over the info. As a start, type typing F2 and then entering knoppix noscsi acpi=off and see what happens, but as I already said, the codes you need may be different. I only happened across codes that worked for me by chance; needing two codes was a royal pain, as my first attempt at each code gave no positive results. Sorry I can't give better advice on what codes you should try, perhaps someone wiser than I can give suggestions.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the reply Harry, I will try them tommorow

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix STD booting problem
    By dayv2005 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 11:51 PM
  2. USB Booting of Knoppix 4.0, a little problem
    By jotruelove in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
  3. Problem booting up knoppix from DVD
    By newlin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM
  4. knoppix 3.4 booting problem
    By Hauck in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
  5. Problem Booting KNOPPIX
    By soar in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server picture

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server

$525.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w

$538.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95