-
Booting Knoppix from CD problem
Can anyone help a newbie, I have downloaded and burnt onto a cd Knoppix. It is supposed to run from the cd but it only gets so far into the boot then my monitor goes blank and ther is no signal to the monitor. I have a Tandberg TFT monitor if thats any help.
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You're not giving much information, like even just how far it's getting into the boot. If you're not getting to the first prompt then I would guess an improper burn or even a bad md5 sum on what you downloaded. However, if you got to the first prompt (I'm guessing you did) then you could have different issues. While you could still have a bad CD (particularly if you burned it at a very high speed), you most liikely need to use some sort of "cheat codes" as you boot. Knoppix 3.4 is much worse about this than early versions (in 3.1 I needed no cheat codes, in 3.4 I need two different ones or I can't boot and hang like you do). In my case I need "knoppix noscsi acpi=off". You can try that, but you might need different codes. I know of no good way beyond trial and error to find what code or (much worse) what codes you might need. Sorry.
-
Thanks Harry, The CD works O K on my laptop and also on a friends computer but not on mine. You mentioned cheats, how and when would I use them. While I have no problem working around any windows O S Linux has me completly flumoxed so I dont want to try a full instal until I am completly confident. Thanks for replying Harry, If you could just advise me on the cheats I would be grateful. George
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
As Knoppix boots, a few seconds in, before Tux and the hardware detection stuff starts up, you'll get a prompt. If you do nothing it only waits a few seconds then goes on with the boot. You can type the cheats tere. Best is to hit F2 or F3 and look over the info. As a start, type typing F2 and then entering knoppix noscsi acpi=off and see what happens, but as I already said, the codes you need may be different. I only happened across codes that worked for me by chance; needing two codes was a royal pain, as my first attempt at each code gave no positive results. Sorry I can't give better advice on what codes you should try, perhaps someone wiser than I can give suggestions.
-
Thanks for the reply Harry, I will try them tommorow
Similar Threads
-
By dayv2005 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2006, 11:51 PM
-
By jotruelove in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
-
By newlin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM
-
By Hauck in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
-
By soar in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00