as a root you mount the HD.
look in the /etc/fstab, normally knoppix creates /mnt/hdX as a mount point for /dev/hdX
put as default the mount like this
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 0 0
you can use now
mount /home for example
best regards
One question. How can I setup within Knoppix to read/write to my HD devices? I right-click on my HD and selected "change to read/write". But this doesn't seem to work or do anything. I still only get read-only access to my HDs.
Cheers
Kevin
as a root you mount the HD.
look in the /etc/fstab, normally knoppix creates /mnt/hdX as a mount point for /dev/hdX
put as default the mount like this
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 0 0
you can use now
mount /home for example
best regards
If your desktop HD icons are not working you can mount the drive manually.
'sudo mount -rw /dev/hdaX' should mount /dev/hdaX to the default location as specified in /etc/fstab. Usually this will be /mnt/hdaX but you can mount it elsewhere with 'sudo mount/-rw /dev/hdaX /home/knoppix/hdaX' for example. You will have to mkdir /home/knoppix/hdaX first.
Thanks you guys. This is very useful.
Hello,Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
I'm trying to get write access to an empty EXT2 formatted drive. The icon for the drive comes up on the desktop as I would expect. I removed the "Read Only" check in the properties for the drive and gave Owner, Group, and Other "Can Read & Write" access. When I try to drag anything to the root of that drive though, I get a "You cannot drag items into a directory that you do not have write permission" message.
I tried from terminal doing "umount /mnt/hdd1" and then "sudo mount /mnt/hdd1" and that didn't fix anything. There must be a straightforward way to write to a hard drive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Update: I ran "sudo mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hdd1" from the terminal and still could not write anything to the drive. I then tried a "mkdir test" from the terminal and got rejected. Finally, I did a "sudo mkdir test" and that worked! So apparently I have to run every write operation as root? Is there a way to become root in the GUI so I don't have to perform write operations from the terminal?
Thanks!

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99