Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: I fixed sound and floppy please help with modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    11

    I fixed sound and floppy please help with modem

    I will leave windows for ever if i could get the modem to work

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    What kind of modem is it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    11

    Re: I fixed sound and floppy please help with modem

    (HSP56 MR) this is a onboard modem

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I'll bet $5.00 it is a Winmodem and winmodems don't work under anything but windows. You will need a new modem that is HARDWARE CONTROLLED. You can find PCI modems that are hardware controlled, but it's easier to configure if you get an external omdem that attatches to the serial port.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    VeeDubb is right it is a winmodem but there may be hope - (some of them actually work under Linux amazingly enough). You can check here:
    http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/search.php

    And (if you want to do a hard drive install) this driver just might work:
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    11
    I think you guys are right. Im looking for another modem.

    thank you for your responce

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousracer2000
    thank you for your responce
    de nada hombre'

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    11
    I forgot I have two more modems. 1 is actiontec 56k external I use for my lap. #2 is intel pci fax modem still in the box. any hope 1 of these might work?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9

    Winmodems

    I have to admit it irks me when I see replies that say you can't use Winmodems in Linux.

    I've been using them since I started learning Linux two years ago with Peanut ( a great distro by the way ). It's true that Winmodems are a PIA but they will work fine w/ a bit of effort.

    I'm using Kurumin right now & it was great to find Carlos added the LT modem drivers to it and I believe he has more in the latest iso. One thing I found with Knoppix 3.1 was that I could'nt build the drivers for the HCF Linmodem, there's a problem with the GCC listed in /proc/version and changing the makefile to point to it made no difference.

    My point is the drivers are out there and it's usually nothing more then building from the source, same as everything else I install.


    roadie

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    actiontec 56k external
    should work no problem

    rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will Sound Card Detection get fixed in the next Knoppix
    By Neo-Rio in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM
  2. AOC monitor detection and sound card problem - fixed
    By JohninPH in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 06:25 PM
  3. config knoppix.sh (on a floppy) to load modem drivers....
    By insomica in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:05 PM
  4. sound / modem / 3.5 floppy/ does not work help please
    By nitrousracer2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 06:28 PM
  5. sound and modem problem !!!
    By boris in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Windows Server 2025 Datacenter-New Sealed DVD and Product Key - 24 Core 50 Cals picture

Windows Server 2025 Datacenter-New Sealed DVD and Product Key - 24 Core 50 Cals

$79.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$89.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19