Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't get ATI drivers to work from the RPM file, need help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can't get ATI drivers to work from the RPM file, need help

    Hey guys, I'm relatively new to linux and I heard that knoppix is an easy distro to work with. I've got an ATI Radeon 9000 (128MB version) and downloaded the nicely packaged RPM off of ATI's website for the driver update. I tried installing it with kpackage and this is the error I got:

    <home/dweeb/fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Installing from the command line returns the same error. I tried using alien to build a .deb package, but that doesn't work either. The command alien -d fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.i386.rpm (thats the name of the file from ATI's website) builds the debian package, but when I try to install it with alien -i fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb, it returns this error:

    root@KnopBox:/home/dweeb# alien -i fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa-gl
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb

    Any ideas guys? I could use the help.

    -Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well you could use -force-overwrite but I would not suggest doing so.
    Code:
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb
    Remember I am suggesting that you not do this but I really have no idea if it will work. If you hose up your install please don't blame me. I used to have an ATI card and always had better luck building from source. There is the possibility of using Kano's script for installing the Radeon driver here:
    Code:
    wget http://kanotix.com/files/install-radeon-debian.sh
    chmod +x install-radeon-debian.sh
    su
    ./install-radeon-debian.sh
    I also cannot promise that this will work. For example, the nvidia install scripts from Kano work beautifully on Debian bootstrap and Kanotix installations but not on Knoppix due to its strange kernel and perhaps a kernel source problem?? I really don't know.

    At any rate my advice would be (in order)
    Buy nvidia!
    OR if that's not an option, install Kanotix as it is Debian SID not a mixture of packages like Knoppix and was created specifically for an hdd install (again unlike Knoppix). Then run the radeon installer script which is included with the Kanotix cd.

    As an aside, you will find Knoppix an unruly beast when you try to upgrade it as it was never designed for an hdd installation.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the info, i'll give it a try

Similar Threads

  1. Can't make configuration file work after install
    By gradnite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 04:22 AM
  2. Desktop File Folders don't work
    By Keithj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 05:55 AM
  3. Loading configuration file won't work
    By sfackler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 03:32 AM
  4. Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...
    By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
  5. Drivers for Radeon 9800 Pro. Anyone gotten them to work?
    By OtterToast in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99