-
Senior Member
registered user
It took me a little time, to gestate what Harry Kuhman was saying, Maybe, I am just "following mother", I guess I could admit to that, but, you even pointed out something, that, I dont think you realized ...
Well Doh! Klaus has outright stated this. People seem to insist on installing from the live CD, but why remains a mystery. One theory is that it's the mother duck syndrome. It's the first Linux that people see when they hatch, so they follow it like a duck follows it's mother. Perhaps if people accepted Knoppix as what it is, a fantastic Live CD distribution that has really led the way in the Linux world in automatic configuration. and when they are ready to install on a hard drive use something like Debain that is intended for hard drive install, they would be much better off.
Automatic configuration - CrashedAgain even pointed out that these "other" Distro's, the ones "intended" on being hard drive installed, dont do this, and the user, or installer, is left up to doing ALL of this themselves. I am sorry, but, this may be the real reason why people see Kanotix as an aternative, doesnt IT still keep the "auto configuration"? Or, has it lost that in its "translation" to being closer to Sid?
I agree with CrashedAgain, but, then again, I dont have any "war wounds" from any other Distro, I saw Knoppix, and then realized I could install it, and did. I have since learned, what you can, and cant do, with it this way, I live with those complications...
I can not be sure of this, but, I think Harry and CrashedAgain both "hit on" what the "kernel patches" are, the ones that I had to include when I compiled my kernel from source... The features that make Knoppix what it is, and the exclusion of these sources, would, possibly, make the kernel, not Knoppix - automatic configuration -=- this HAS to be what those patches are all about, they make the kernel what Knoppix is "known" for, and it appears, the only Linux that can say this... ( Unless, as I will be proved on a later post, Kanotix still contains these features )
I have seriously considered going to Kanotix, but, I guess I am truely a "duck", and have kept loyal, and faithful, to my "mother". I have become accustomed to what I know, and enjoy that accustomation. I fear change, to go out in the world on "my own", and I fear for my system, who must make that journey, with me.
Since we have a devoted Kanotix runner here, can you allieveate some of my concerns, on this change???
*** Can Kanotix support "dial-up"? I have heard that it no longer has this support.
*** Can Kanotix support my "current" Knoppix home partition? On the last Knoppix hard drive install, I went with a seperate partition scheme for root, and for /home.
*** Can Kanotix run the 2.6.6 kernel? I have come to use, and appreciate this faster kernel.
*** Can Kanotix support auto-configuration of my hardware devices? I dont want to spend six weeks trying to get help to get my hardware working. i.e. video, sound, etc...
Last thought, doesnt Kanotix require downloading the "sources" from the Linux kernel site? And does it "also" require a "patch" from Kanotix to make it "Kanotix", or am I just not thinking straight here????
Similar Threads
-
By whoeverheis in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By florin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By jymden in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99