Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 54 of 54

Thread: knx hd install is not just debian

  1. #51
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Ubuntu may be my next tryout on the spare. Anything in particular you want to share about it, champagne?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    Ubuntu may be my next tryout on the spare. Anything in particular you want to share about it, champagne?
    I think you'd like it. From what I've heard I think the standard installer is supposed to be slightly simpler than the new sarge installer, but I chose the expert install option so that I could pass a module parameter, so I can't say from experience. Mind you, the new sarge installer is not hard itself.

    Once it's installed everything is set up for you very nicely. It comes with Gnome, but you can easily replace that if you don't like it. I will say that they have gnome set up very nicely right off the bat though. Also, installing the nvidia drivers is incredibly easy...even easier than with Kanotix.

    They'll force you to have a separate home partition though...so be prepared for that. It's also initially setup so that everything is done by the normal user using sudo. You can set a password for root...but it won't be set until you choose to set one. Give it a shot sometime.

  3. #53
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    But will it really support KDE fully? I am running into a similar situation with the Beast, Fedora. I have gotten KDE 3.3 on there but it's half-hearted for want of a better word Apparently Fedora was made for gnome and that's all there is to it. Maybe that was why I passed on it a few weeks ago. Separate home, I supposed I could repartition the spare partition.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    But will it really support KDE fully? I am running into a similar situation with the Beast, Fedora. I have gotten KDE 3.3 on there but it's half-hearted for want of a better word Apparently Fedora was made for gnome and that's all there is to it. Maybe that was why I passed on it a few weeks ago. Separate home, I supposed I could repartition the spare partition.
    I haven't tried installing KDE nish, but I don't see any reason that you would have trouble with it. This is not fedora after all, it's just a customized debian distro. :P And I did look and can tell you that all of the KDE packages seem to be available in the ubuntu universe repository.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Debian HD install 4.0
    By whoeverheis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
  2. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  3. how close to Debian after install?
    By florin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. hdd install = debian, what version ?
    By jymden in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested picture

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested

$670.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95