-
Senior Member
registered user
Ubuntu may be my next tryout on the spare. Anything in particular you want to share about it, champagne?
-

Originally Posted by
nishtya
Ubuntu may be my next tryout on the spare. Anything in particular you want to share about it, champagne?
I think you'd like it. From what I've heard I think the standard installer is supposed to be slightly simpler than the new sarge installer, but I chose the expert install option so that I could pass a module parameter, so I can't say from experience. Mind you, the new sarge installer is not hard itself.
Once it's installed everything is set up for you very nicely. It comes with Gnome, but you can easily replace that if you don't like it. I will say that they have gnome set up very nicely right off the bat though. Also, installing the nvidia drivers is incredibly easy...even easier than with Kanotix.
They'll force you to have a separate home partition though...so be prepared for that. It's also initially setup so that everything is done by the normal user using sudo. You can set a password for root...but it won't be set until you choose to set one. Give it a shot sometime.
-
Senior Member
registered user
But will it really support KDE fully? I am running into a similar situation with the Beast, Fedora. I have gotten KDE 3.3 on there but it's half-hearted for want of a better word
Apparently Fedora was made for gnome and that's all there is to it. Maybe that was why I passed on it a few weeks ago. Separate home, I supposed I could repartition the spare partition.
-

Originally Posted by
nishtya
But will it really support KDE fully? I am running into a similar situation with the Beast, Fedora. I have gotten KDE 3.3 on there but it's half-hearted for want of a better word

Apparently Fedora was made for gnome and that's all there is to it. Maybe that was why I passed on it a few weeks ago. Separate home, I supposed I could repartition the spare partition.
I haven't tried installing KDE nish, but I don't see any reason that you would have trouble with it. This is not fedora after all, it's just a customized debian distro. :P And I did look and can tell you that all of the KDE packages seem to be available in the ubuntu universe repository.
Similar Threads
-
By whoeverheis in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By florin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By jymden in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99