-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rivendels
I wonder if upgrading knoppix is possible. if anyone know how to do it please reply.
Let's rephrase that question: I wonder if upgrading knoppix is necessary?
As Cuddles says, Knoppix does not provide for 'upgrading' say from 3.4 to 3.7. However, there really isn't much difference between versions so there really isn't much to be gained by upgrading to the newest version. The biggest change in the last couple of years was when the system was changed to isolinux & the 2.6 kernel was added with 3.4. There is only minimal differences between 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3 and between 3.4, 3.6 & 3.7. I wouldn't expect much new when 3.8 comes out...possibly the 2.4 kernel will be removed & some new applications added.
Since Knoppix is Debian based, it is so easy to add/remove applications once you are installed to HD that you can easily keep your own system up to date, so there is little need for changing to the 'latest' Knoppix anyway.
So, why do it if it would be a lot of work & little gain. Put another way, why fix it if it isn't broken?
On the other hand, I have attempted to 'standardize' my own setup procedure so that I can build my particular customization quickly & easily if I have to. I use a Knoppix style HDinstall so I can remaster from it. Basically, here is what I do:
Before starting: Copy entire /home/knoppix & all config files in step 1 below to a restore location (Note: I don't have much in /home/knoppix. data files are on a separate partition with only symlinks to it in /home/knoppix)
1) edit config files (replace with saved versions): fstab lilo.cfg XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.in sources.list 45xsession knoppix-autoconfig mkdesktophdicons
2) dselect upgrade
3) set root & user passwords
4) install flatblack cursor (I cant see the little white cursor on my laptop)
5) localepurge
6) touch frozen-bubble.wav; apt-get remove nessusd; apt-get -purge remove purgelist; remove & replace joe (the purgelist removes about 400 meg, frozen-bubble & nessusd are problem apps that won't remove properly, joe causes problems if you do an apt-get upgrade....which I will never do again)
7) remove openoffice-de-en & mozilla-de-en (apt-get remove openoffice* mozilla*)
replace openoffice & mozilla-browser
9) rm -rf orphaned config directories
10) remove deborphans
11) apt-get -t unstable install kdebase knoqueror kdebase kpat kget kde-multimedia-kio-plugins xmms-arts xine-arts ispell iamerican ibritish dictionary-common tuxpaint parted (this upgrade most of kde to unstable)
12) apt-get -t unstable install multimedia apps: flashplayer realplayer mplayer mplayer-mozilla mplayer-fonts w32codecs kaffiene noatun-plugins
13) replace entire /home/knoppix with the saved original file: this should setup all colors enable sound system & edit ./knotifyrc & set all fonts to helvetica
14) copy /home/knoppix to /etc/skel
15) make a remaster disk at this point for a backup and to transfer the system to the laptop. Remastering will default some setups so restore these.
16) apt-get -t unstable install gimp-help gimp-help-common gimp-help-en gimp-manual tuxracer realsoft3d blender xmms-skins kscreensavers flightgear festival (These are left till last since they wont fit on the remaster disk)
17) On laptop only: install ltmodem
Dunno if this will help anybody, I can provide more detail if anybody wants it.
Similar Threads
-
By mallyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
-
By lord_taran in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By hickorynut01 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 05:33 PM
-
By insomica in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 10:03 PM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00