I know I know
"it's included with the distro"
and
"it's not illegal"
maybe so but it sure is a hacker tool and I personally would never assist you in wardriving and I hope the same is true of everyone who visits this forum.
I am running Knoppix 3.2 - 03-03-28 on my dell laptop
I am trying to run Kismet.
On my laptop I have an integrated NIC and a PC Card ORiNOCO Wireless Card. My NIC is eth0 and my wireless is eth1.
Kismet is trying to capture from eth0. Eth0 is my NIC. In the kismet.conf file it set to eth0.
Is the only way for me to fix it by remastering a knoppix cd???
Thanks,
Dan
I know I know
"it's included with the distro"
and
"it's not illegal"
maybe so but it sure is a hacker tool and I personally would never assist you in wardriving and I hope the same is true of everyone who visits this forum.
This issue has come up a number of times on this forum and I can only repeat what others have already stated. It may well be that this person intends to use Kismet malevolently, but this is not necessarily the case. Kismet has legitimate uses: namely, as a tool to check security on your own wireless network. For this reason I think we ought not to automatically assume bad motives. I likewise would offer no help whatsoever to someone who wanted to use Kismet as a hacking tool. This is just my two cents.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
You're right - it does have a legitimate purpose and I don't like to stereotype anyone but I have to believe that someone who knows what this software is and is capable of using this type of softare is fully aware of its implications and would at least have made an attempt to explain what they intended to use it for.Originally Posted by aay
But how would you know?For this reason I think we ought not to automatically assume bad motives. I likewise would offer no help whatsoever to someone who wanted to use Kismet as a hacking tool.
There are plenty of cracker sites out there already for them to frequent. Fortunately for me I don't have wireless so it's not really a concern. I of course couldn't do a damn thing if someone really wants help them. I suppose since it is included with the distro they are entitled to assistance.
I am wanting to use it for my personal use!
Does anyone have an answer?
OK well maybe I was concerned because a hairyanimal wanted to use it!![]()
My point exactly.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
I am trying to configure Kismet right now so that I can see if the other side of my wireless network is messed up or not! Kismet is a great tool for checking this!
See:
http://www.bcwireless.net/MoodyVille
Kismet has legitamate uses! Lighten up!
-Ambrose
I use netstumbler all the time on windows to check my wireless network signal strength. It works great to let me know if I need to scoot over more on the couch![]()
But seriously, I use it all the time for wifi signal strength testing. I find netstumbler and kismet an invaluable tool for mapping out your wireless network and finding dead spots and hot spots on your wifi network.
just my 2 cents
Try typing this:
Code:kismet -i eth1

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1694.85
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$441.77
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00