Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sony Laptop & Booting 3.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15

    Sony Laptop & Booting 3.4

    Help, theyv'e changed the boot process on 3.4. I booted fine in to knoppix 3.3 with the following cheat codes on my PCG-Z505R. knoppix nopcmcia ide2=0x180,0x386 home=/dev/hda2.
    Doesn't work on 3.4. Cannot find the cdrom!
    Ordinarily the cdrom is called scd0 during my normal boot message under 3.3.
    How can I force3.4 to look for scd0?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Just for yucks & grins did you try it without the cheatcodes?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15

    Sony laptop & booting 3.4

    Ah,yess. . .already tried the barefoot option. . .one can always hope. . .but no joy
    It hangs looking under /dev/hdc and drops to the shell.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the cheatcode atapicd noscsi might help

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    OK my last guess is:
    Code:
    nodma

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes mzilikazi is right, there might be a DMA error in there, wont hurt much by adding that, just reduced speed reading/writing to devices able to use dma.
    suming up I think that one of the below should work.
    Code:
    knoppix atapicd noscsi nodma
    OR
    Code:
    knoppix26 atapicd noscsi nodma
    should work for you. if not let us know.
    and worstcase a nomount on the end.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15
    I'm still unable to boot the 3.4 even with the suggested cheatcodes I got a copy of 3.6 as well and no joy with all the suggested cheatcodes. Apparently the new hardware scripts will not allow me to instruct the kernel where to find my cdrom. The Sony external cdrom is a proprietary lashup that joins the bus at an odd address. . .hence the instruction ide2=0x180,0x386.
    Unfortunately the new kernel setup doesn't pick up this instruction. Guess I'm out of the hunt for now.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15
    Finally! Success. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, but it works for 3.4 with the 2.4 series kernel. I sort''ve understood what I was doing with the cheatcodes for 3.3 (knoppix nopcmcia ide2=0x180,0x386) but I've now got a boot line that reads like something out of Harry Potter: knoppix amp=off no-hlt ide-cs pci=off nopcmcia ide2=0x180,0x386 home=/dev/hda2, Now I've got to play with it and find out what is superfluous in this ugainly beast

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Postie: THANK YOU! I have my sister's tiny little sony vaio pcg sr-17k, the 2.98lb'r with the external CD-rom. Anyway, windows basically commited suicide, and booting linux was my only hope of saving her data before I reformat. Your cheatcode DOES WORK for sony laptopsl the one odd thing I encountered was that halfway through booting it asked for a password, 20 characters long. I said 'no' and it continued to boot. Now if I can get my jumpdrive to work I'll be all set.

    - Ca$h

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Also, in my case I didn't need to use the home=/dev cheat.

    - Ca$h

Similar Threads

  1. booting problem sony A690 laptop --no harddrive found
    By rrk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 09:16 PM
  2. old laptop (Sony) with PCMCIA CDROM - cant install
    By simonmac2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
  3. Sony VAIO widescreen laptop display?
    By DestroyerOfWorlds in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
  4. Success: Conexant HSF modem in Sony laptop
    By EPS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 07:13 PM
  5. Problems with Conextant-Ambit SoftK56 on Sony laptop !
    By rompel in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99