-
Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
Hello people:
I am new to Linux. I posted the message "Saving a large container from a crashed WinXP to external HD". My problem was that the external HD connected thru the USB port was NTFS and i could not make Captive NTFS accept the container. I changed the filesystem in the external HD using QTParted to FAT32. Then i susccessfully copied one 250 mb container simply using the right-click copy and paste. However, when i try the same strategy with the large 4 GB container the process starts fine but then at about 2 GB the writing onto the external HD is stopped and i receive a message like "Process died unexpectedly" (it happened twice) I thought i could split and rejoin the 4 GB container using the split and cat commands but i do not have enough disk space in the local partition (hda1). I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command
split -b 1000m filename filename
to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.
cat filenamead >> filenameaa
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD

Originally Posted by
Tito
Hello people:
I am new to Linux. I posted the message "Saving a large container from a crashed WinXP to external HD". My problem was that the external HD connected thru the USB port was NTFS and i could not make Captive NTFS accept the container. I changed the filesystem in the external HD using QTParted to FAT32. Then i susccessfully copied one 250 mb container simply using the right-click copy and paste. However, when i try the same strategy with the large 4 GB container the process starts fine but then at about 2 GB the writing onto the external HD is stopped and i receive a message like "Process died unexpectedly" (it happened twice) I thought i could split and rejoin the 4 GB container using the split and cat commands but i do not have enough disk space in the local partition (hda1). I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command
split -b 1000m filename filename
to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.
cat filenamead >> filenameaa
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito
With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filename
basicly the same for cat.
-
Re: Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10

Originally Posted by
Tito
Hello people:
[snip] I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command
split -b 1000m filename filename
to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.
cat filenamead >> filenameaa
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito
With split,
split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filename
basicly the same for cat.
Thanks. In the external HD i have a little less than 8 GB so to rejoin
the parts into the whole container, which is 4GB, i need to delete the parts as they are being assembled. How do i modify the cat command to do just that?
Tito
joined
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am not absolutely certain, but my recollection is there is a 2GB max on fat32 file sizes. You won't be able to cat the pieces together except on a ext2 or a NTFS drive. I went a few rounds with this issue a year or two ago and ended up with the large file on an ext2 file and a driver to mount the ext2 file in Win2K. I was trying to get a large drive image burned to a DVD.
-

Originally Posted by
rcook
I am not absolutely certain, but my recollection is there is a 2GB max on fat32 file sizes. You won't be able to cat the pieces together except on a ext2 or a NTFS drive. I went a few rounds with this issue a year or two ago and ended up with the large file on an ext2 file and a driver to mount the ext2 file in Win2K. I was trying to get a large drive image burned to a DVD.
You seem to be correct sir. I made a little research and also read messages in LinuxQuestions.org and apparently there is a 2GB limit in FAT32 (though there seems to be a patch).
Apart from the road you took, maybe i can copy the parts into WinXP and then re-assemble them using some MS-DOS command?
Tito
-
Re: Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
[snip]
So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito[/quote]
With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filename
basicly the same for cat.[/quote]
In the Root Shell i wrote:
split -b 1000m mnt/hda1/filename.xxx /mnt/sda1/filename
and the system responded
split: mnt/hda1/filename.xxx: No such file or directory
However, i know it is there, i can see it with Konqueror. What could
be wrong with my command?
Cheers
Tito
-
Senior Member
registered user
use the command line copy command. I think
c:\> copy /b part1+ /b part2 joinedFile
Check with the help to see proper/correct syntax.
copy /?
-

Originally Posted by
rcook
use the command line copy command. I think
c:\> copy /b part1+ /b part2 joinedFile
Check with the help to see proper/correct syntax.
copy /?
Thanks. In fact the split command did work so please disregard my previous post. I moved the parts from the external FAT32 HD into a working WinXP machine and joined them with
copy \b partaa+partab+...+partae joined.xxx
Now i have to open the container to see that everything is fine inside.
It looks like i have completed my rescue mission.
Thanks to Koppix and to you guys!
Next mission: To reinstall WinXP in the Compaq machine and also Knoppix-Debian to have a dual boot system!
Tito
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is a 2gb limit on Fat32 with knoppix, though my winxp can go up to 4gb.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Don't keep us in suspense. Did it work?
Similar Threads
-
By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
-
By gurdian in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 15
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:39 AM
-
By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:13 PM
-
By ph28205 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
-
By margaritaville in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)
$100.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00