Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing KDE 3.2.3 THEMES!!!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Installing KDE 3.2.3 THEMES!!!

    I'm getting pretty tired of the standard themes that come with the preloaded version of KDE 3.2.3 on Knoppix. I went to www.kde-look.org and found some great themes that would look great on my desktop, but I download the files and nothing happens!! I am an extreme newbie and think that I have to compile these files, but I dont know even how to do that!! Could someone help me step-by-step or refer me to a help source?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Each posting on kde-look has a 'how to install' beside it. It's pretty brief by try to work though it.
    If you run into problems, post again with the specific problem.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Checking back in....

    Here's the deal ( and please pardon my ignorance), I know now that KDE 3.2 does NOT come with a theme manager. I know the only way to change my desktop is to go to the Window Decorations section of KDE- LOOK.org and choose the Window Decorations for any KDE that is or above Kde 3.2. I download the .rpm file and convert it to .deb using the "alien" program. i've done all this. I have found a really slick window decoration that I want to use, but I also know that i have to use a program called K Package. When I load the .deb file into KPackage and try to install it, KPackage gives me an error saying: <ix/Downloaded Stuff/crystal_0.7.7-2_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
    dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
    RESULT=2
    - I have no clue what this error means or how to fix it. I know that my HD is readable and writable, so I am a bit stuck at this point. Anyone who could help would be GREATLY appreciated.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Checking back in....

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    ..... that i have to use a program called K Package. When I load the .deb file into KPackage and try to install it, KPackage gives me an error saying: <ix/Downloaded Stuff/crystal_0.7.7-2_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
    dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
    RESULT=2
    - I have no clue what this error means or how to fix it. I know that my HD is readable and writable, so I am a bit stuck at this point. Anyone who could help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Have you installed Knoppix to your HD? If you are running from CD you will be unable to install anything because the operating system is on the read only CD.
    Exception: If you have done a 'persistent home' on your hard drive, you can install any packages which are available from 'klik'.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Unfortunately, KDE Themes are not klik-able.
    probono

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Check this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...888&highlight=

    I got themes to install by following this. Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    The HD Install

    I now see that my option is an HD install, but when I run the installer, I get as far as the partitioning phase, then it says something like the drive is read only, cannot figure size of drive. MY DRIVE IS READABLE AND WRITABLE!!!!!!!! WHY????!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Installing themes?
    By moebius in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
  2. More Themes for [url]www.knoppix.net[/url]
    By chris-harry in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
  3. GTK2 Themes
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
  4. Installing Themes
    By Cronos55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:46 AM
  5. gtk themes?
    By slc in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



Samsung (8X16GB) 128GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-RE2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X16GB) 128GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-RE2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$849.99



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



Micron 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-EZZZ-11 ECC Unbuffered Memory MTA18ADF2G72AZ-2G6E1ZI picture

Micron 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-EZZZ-11 ECC Unbuffered Memory MTA18ADF2G72AZ-2G6E1ZI

$79.99