Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Burn CD from downloaded files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Burn CD from downloaded files

    I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN, and now I want to burn it on CD. Which files shall I include and must I unzip anything.
    I have the following files:
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN (which is a zip file)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    It's not a zip file, it's an iso image and should be named KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso and have a filesize of 716308 KB. If Windows automagically named it .zip, rename to .iso and burn as an image:
    http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.ht...0Burning%20ROM
    If you want to verify the download use the md5sum: http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Unzip it. I had not seen people offering it as a zip, but you need an ISO file.

    Check the MD5 sum against either of the other 2 files (will likely be right if it unzips OK, but check it).

    Do not just burn the iso to CD. You need to use an option in your burning software that knows how to burn from an iso. You didn't say what you are using, but in Nero it's under the File menu, something like "Burn from Image". Post your burning software and ask if you are not sure.

    At least for your first burn, burn at low speed. Too many people recently have been posting asking why they can't get Knoppix working and then post back later that they just had a bad burn. I suggest 4x for a first burn. If you want to burn at 52x later once you know how to do this, that's your choice.

    The resulting disk should have a number of files on it (not one ISO file) as seen from Windows, and should even start up a Windows browser and load a webpage from CD if inserted in a Windows system (assuming you have windows starting a CD enabled). If you can't see the files it ain't gonna boot.

    You may find that you need some cheat codes when you boot. If it hangs without any try knoppix noscsi acpi=off or try knoppix nodma .

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Ok, but shall I do something with the other files:
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
    which are about 1kB

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens-FIN
    Ok, but shall I do something with the other files:
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc
    KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
    which are about 1kB
    Both of those files contain a string that is an MD5 checksum. It is used with any of several MD5 utilities to confirm that the iso file is good. I urge you to find a utility (start at Google, I don't have a link for you off hand). And confirm that the iso file is good. I've downloaded many many files from the web, and I never have corruption problems with anything else, but a number of the Knoppix ISO files I have downloaded are indeed corrupt (the servers are set up in such a way that the binary files are being treated like ascii and a new line to CR/LF translation is happening). I likely have had less than 50% sucess getting a good iso, and I wasted a lot of time and CD's when I first started, so check that md5 checksum and be sure it matches.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Ok Harry, I'll give it a try, thanx

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    It's not a zip file, it's an iso image and should be named KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso and have a filesize of 716308 KB. If Windows automagically named it .zip,
    Windows renames .iso files to .zip? WTF? Is windows really that stupid?

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Windows renames .iso files to .zip? WTF? Is windows really that stupid?
    Windows does not rename iso files.

    In some cases Windows hides the extension name, but only if it knows how to deal with that extension. Still, it's a very good idea to turn off that "feature", fortunately, this is simple to do.

    Markus seems to think that Jens-FIN is wrong about the extension. Maybe Markus is right; I've not seen a site that offers the ISO within a zip. Maybe Jens-FIN is right, as he didn't say where he got the file and maybe it really is an iso inside a zip. Neither case supports your wild Windows renames .iso files to .zip statement or your cheap snipe at Windows. Windows has enough real faults, they shouldn't be obscured by childish insults and name calling.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Windows has enough real faults, they shouldn't be obscured by childish insults and name calling.
    OK who let Bill Gates sign up on the Knoppix forum? :P

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have had that problem when helping friends download Knoppix, botn to XP and WIN2K.
    as far as i know it is WINRAR and/or one other utility (canot remember name), that "kidnaps" th *.ISO files and tries to unzipthem, anoyinbg as &(/&().

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can I burn files from an ntfs partition using Knoppix live
    By Drake in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:11 AM
  2. Problems Trying to Run Downloaded Files
    By CaNaDa11278 in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 12:40 AM
  3. Which folder/files to burn in the ISO?...
    By jch02140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 02:22 AM
  4. burn baby burn!
    By tup34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
  5. HOWTO: Script to burn MP3 files to CD
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$57.99



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95



32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram picture

32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram

$44.99