-
Administrator
Site Admin-
This seemed like an interesting question, so I did a little test tonight: I booted my desktop with my newest Knoppix CD. Used all defaults (no cheat codes, default kernel). When Knoppix came up I made sure I was on the network (clicked the links to the websites on the default browser) and then shut down the browser.
I then put another live CD in my notebook and booted that. Ran nmap against my desktop's IP address. With a bunch of scanning this is all I could find:
Open port 68, dhcp client.
Open Port 6000, X11
No other ports were open, and I scanned all 64k, not just the low defaults.
It doesn't seem like there's a lot of vulnerability from the port 68 issue (might help someone on the local lan confuse your system, but ettercap will allow local hacks even without port 6
.
Not sure what the port 6000 issues are. Anyone?
My thought remains the same as before the test - assuming you have a high speed connection, use a hardware Home DSL/cable router. Forward only the ports needed to the Knoppix computer (in this case certainly don't forward port 6000 unless you know why). You'll have taken reasonable precautions and be reasonably safe (nothing being completely safe).
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99