Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: USB storage devices

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10

    USB storage devices

    Does anybody else have problems accessing USB flash disks etc? The problem is that some devices have bogus partition tables and so you end up with

    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3
    /dev/sda4

    instead of a single

    /dev/sda

    If I blank the device with dd and create a FS with mkdosfs then it works fine (except for a desktop icon, a bug in mkdesktophdicons).

    I've a patch to scanpartitions that makes it work the way I think it should.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    What makes you say the partition table is bogus? Is it not actually there?

    I have no trouble accessing USB disks no matter how many partitions they have. I don't use desktop icons myself so I'm not much help there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: USB storage devices

    Quote Originally Posted by srowe

    I've a patch to scanpartitions that makes it work the way I think it should.
    You should submit it to bugzilla to see if can be included.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    What makes you say the partition table is bogus? Is it not actually there?

    I have no trouble accessing USB disks no matter how many partitions they have. I don't use desktop icons myself so I'm not much help there.
    There are no partitions, just a single FAT FS. The kernel however reports 4 partitions

    May 16 09:25:07 macau kernel: SCSI device sda: 128000 512-byte hdwr sectors (66 MB)
    May 16 09:25:07 macau kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
    May 16 09:25:07 macau kernel: sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4

    /proc/partitions shows

    major minor #blocks name rio rmerge rsect ruse wio wmerge wsect wuse running use aveq

    8 0 64000 sda 122895 45 245880 874940 1025 121855 245760 2596960 0 973410 3471900
    8 1 2023554176 sda1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    8 2 1408628884 sda2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    8 3 5 sda3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    8 4 490806906 sda4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    Look at the block counts, I call those bogus.

    It isn't just a single device, I have three completely different ones that exhibit the same behaviour.

    I guess it's really a kernel issue, it shouldn't consider those partitions as valid.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10
    It looks like the issue is related to SYSLINUX, the devices have a bootable image dd'ed on to them.

    It seems that SYSLINUX uses the end of the root sector for code/string storage and this confuses the kernel into enumerating the bogus partitions.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    I tried with knoppix 3.3 and the USB device is not recognized at start-up.

    Using knoppix 3.2 the USB device is recognized but I have the problem with the four sda partition none of them mountable.

    The usb device is not recognized with 'fdisk -l' but compares together with CD-ROM using 'cdrecord -scanbus'

    Please, is there a command or a sequence of command to make the usb device work? I have only a work PC with a signle NTFS partition, so, no other way to use linux apart the live cd-rom version and the usb fat32 drive.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi Francesca,

    I like running KNOPPIX from the CD.
    I tried the USB sticks but had some problems and
    gave up using them for now.
    I don't know why knoppix3.3 would be so differnt
    but I find that it does give a differnt number to my
    second usb CDRW device. I backup and restore files
    to and from a second CDRW.

    Have you tried cfdisk and a linux partition on your usb drive?
    But then you can not read it from windows.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    miami, fl
    Posts
    21
    paradocs

    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:41 am
    Hi Francesca,

    I like running KNOPPIX from the CD.
    I tried the USB sticks but had some problems and
    gave up using them for now.
    I don't know why knoppix3.3 would be so differnt
    but I find that it does give a differnt number to my
    second usb CDRW device. I backup and restore files
    to and from a second CDRW.

    how do you mount your usb cdrw? Does K3b recognizes it automatically?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi c_cinq,

    KNOPPIX is very good (sorry not perfect) at hardware
    detection. A usb CDRW should work just fine when booting
    from the KNOPPIX CD. It will be automatically mounted
    as /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 if KNOPPIX is on /cdrom.

    I find a second CDRW (perhaps a DVDRW is in my future )
    to be an excellent addition to a KNOPPIX system.

    Yes K3b will work just fine -- although you can easily learn
    the shell commands for cdrecord to blank and write to it
    directly.

    Two cautionary notes are in order:
    1) packet writing is not yet here for KNOPPIX -- now you can only
    blank a whole CDRW and the burn to the whole CDRW.
    2) With a hard drive install it will take a little more work to get
    the usb drive mounted. One way of course is to get the usb
    CD working from the CD boot and then reinstall. To make
    a hard drive install work without reinstalling you have to things
    to /etc/fstab and I am not the one to ask about that.

    My project for automatically saving and restoring /home/knoppix
    to a CDRW is very preliminary -- but here is a link for what it's
    worth.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    What are the proper procedures to mount/write to USB devices

    I'm having a similar problem with "writing" data to any USB device with Knoppix.

    I'm being challenged on trying to move data from a HD to a USB drive pen. All the devices are recognized, but everything stops there...

    The main error I keep getting is "Directory can not be created".

    Can one of you "Guru's" take a moment a post some simple step-by-steps from booting with the Knoppix CD to configuring a USB device to copy and paste files?

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8 CeBit: Resolving issues with USB storage devices
    By cleary in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
  2. usb-storage
    By tommy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:37 AM
  3. storage and more what you thing about this.......
    By cowmamba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 05:45 AM
  4. usb mass storage problem
    By hadrien001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:30 PM
  5. data storage
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00