-
Junior Member
registered user
GCC won't install
Hi,
I'm trying to install in Debian a particular version of GCC. I've downloaded from GNU the file gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz. In "/root" I created a directory called "temp" where I placed the file. In "temp" I run the command "tar zxvf gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz" that extracted all the files to the directory "gcc-3.3.1". In temp, I created a new directory called "obj". In "obj" I run the command line "/root/temp/gcc-3.3.1/configure". The program started to run. Then I run make.The problem is that it gave two errors at the end. Then I ran install, and it gave error again. I think I made all the right steps - I followed the manual: created a separate dir for the GCC to be built; didn't define a target so it assumes the host=target, etc...
What am I doing wrong? Did I dowloaded the wrong package? Is there some other command option I should have given?
I'm struggling against time friends. Can someone help me please?
Regards,
Kepler
-
Senior Member
registered user
Testing (sarge) is currently at 3.3.4. If you really (really really) need 3.3.1 speciifically, try finding an archived .deb package of it. I haven't had to do this myself in years, but building gcc can be convoluted, and you may discover you also need specific versions of binutils, glibc, linstdc++, gmake... There are sites archiving all historical versions of past debian packages, but I can't seem to find a quick link; sorry.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Unless you have a reason to want to compile from source, it is far easier to install packages with apt-get.
Google 'gcc' search within results '3.3.1' search within results '.deb' gives
http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/am...3/3.3.1-0pre0/
as a source for gcc 3.3.1 .deb package.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'm a bit confused
Hi,
Thanks for the link. But I'm a bit confused...wich package do I download? Is it gcc-3.3_3.3.1ds0.orig.tar.gz?
Regards,
Kepler
-
Senior Member
registered user
*.Deb is the ones you are looking for i think.
but those that the link point to are for the AMD 64bit CPU's. so i think you might be barking up the wrong tree here.
and i am sad to say that not even Google the magnificent have found me any 3.3.1.
and top make things really interesting, there seems to be a major bug in that version (got lots of hits with bug in them).
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$34.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520
$29.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU
$50.00

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99

2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5" 240GB Solid State Drive
$29.50

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00