-
Junior Member
registered user
Connecting to home linux box from work xp pro
I am trying to connect to my home PC, running linux, from my work PC, running XP Pro. I work at a hospital, so obviously there is a big network here. I use Cygwin for a linux-like environment here at work and at home I have a Linksys NR041 router connecting a winXP pro box and the linux box I wish to connect to.
Anyone have any idea how I mght do this. So far, I think I set up my linux box to hear me using sshd and then from work try:
ssh username@IPaddress.
But I am not sure if I am on the right track.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks!
-
Junior Member
registered user
well you would have to know the IP address of your router, not your pc being it's going to have a private (non-routable) address... then you would have to open the port for ssh on your router and forward all incoming requests to your linux box's internal IP
-
well you would have to know the IP address of your router, not your pc being it's going to have a private (non-routable) address...
Depending on how your provider works, it may not be possible. Many do NAT, so the router's IP address may be private too. You would then have to talk to your Internet provider to see if they have the specific ports open for ssh or the protocol you will use. Many don't ... Even if they do, then you'll have to find out which one is your public IP address, which is tricky.
G
-
You don't need ask IPS for static IP
You don't have to ask static IP address. Your IP may be same for most time. Just type in 192.168.1.1 which is router's IP, go to status, check address. Then remember that IP and ssh that IP.
-
Re: You don't need ask IPS for static IP

Originally Posted by
jzhai
You don't have to ask static IP address. Your IP may be same for most time. Just type in 192.168.1.1 which is router's IP, go to status, check address. Then remember that IP and ssh that IP.
If I do that on my set up this is what I would get the address 192.168.0.1, which is the address my DSL modem DHCP server assigned the router, if I check the DSL modem, it will give me a WAN address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd (not important which one is), which is assigned by my ISP. If I check the IP address that world sees (there are many ways to do this), it will be zzz.yyy.xxx.www, different from the one my DSL modem has and also controlled by the ISP.
So if I try to connect from the outside world to a specific PC on my network, I can only use the zzz.yyy.xxx.www address. This would only work if my ISP hasn't blocked the ports and if I tunnel these ports properly through my internal network to the PC I want to access remotely. Many ISPs refuse to open all ports for domestic users. The specifics vary from ISP to ISP. Most cable modem providers are more restrictive than DSL providers. Most technical support departments won't have a clue of what you are trying to do unless you have a commercial account. Believe me, I tried.
My $.02
--GN
-
www.whatismyip.com is the fastest way to check your IP. But do remember to disable any proxy in your browser or you'll see the proxy servers IP. This will of course only work if your ISP doesn't nat the address.
EDIT: You don't have to worry about the browsers proxy if you do: links www.whatismyip.com , press q to quit.
-
Senior Member
registered user
this is what i would do.
i would find out my ip at my home box before i go work etc. set up the servers that i want and the port forwarding stuff
routers ip = 192.168.1.1
server machine in nat enviroment = 192.168.1.2
your machine at work = not important
from your home box go to www.whatismyip.com (make sure you disable proxies)
check the ip go to www.no-ip.com
create a domain for your ip (isp)
then from your computer at work
ssh yourdomain
now you will have to update the domain name for ever time you get a new ip but its easyer then having to remember the ip each time.
Similar Threads
-
By Huston in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
-
By plcanonica in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
-
By maggiesweetpea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
-
By willempie in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 12:54 AM
-
By laba in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01