Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Laptop seemingly randomly shuts it self off...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    20

    Laptop seemingly randomly shuts it self off...

    Total Linux n00b here with a Compaq Presario 2100 with a win xp/ knoppix 3.5 DVD dual boot set up. And while Windows works just fine, Linux will shut itself off from time to time, and while this is livable, it's extremely annoying. Not only because I lose whatever I was doing, but also because I have to go through that disk checker at startup evertime that happens. So, I was thinking maybe it's overheating? It doesn't seem much hotter than it gets in windows though, but that's what I was thinking would cause it to do that. I have ACPI disabled because I need it to be to get it to boot up (but I have absolutely no clue what ACPI does). Could you guys help me out?
    Thanks
    -Nate

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try restarting acpi when fully booted. that might help

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    20
    How? Like I said, I don't have a clue what I'm doing in linux.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    I have a presario 2100us.
    With the 3.6 livecd ,from the boot prompt
    knoppix26 nolapic noscsi <enter>
    ls /proc/acpi
    acpi -V
    with older versions try
    knoppix nolapic pci=noacpi noscsi
    pcmcia is broken with the second method but at east your laptop
    doesn't shutdown.
    Local apic is broken in these laptops.When I build a kernel,I leave out
    support for local apic and apm.
    The pcmcia problem I fix with a custom /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
    I use the noscsi option because scsi probing breaks my nic.With the noscsi
    option the nic works fine.
    On a hard drive install,add or edit your append line in /etc/lilo.conf
    If you use grub,you can add these options with the e option.
    Hit escape when you see grub.e to edit b to boot

    append="acpi=on nolapic" #for 2.6 kernel
    append="acpi=on nolapic pci=noacpi" #for 2.4 kernel

    save the file and run "lilo -v" to rewrite your bootloader.Notice any error messages.

    Have Fun and buy another laptop.I've got a toshiba now and I'm much
    happier.The presario works,but you'll know linux by the time you get it
    configured properly.OTOH,that might be a good thing.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    20
    Hey! It worked! I left my laptop on for a good 3 hours without having it shut down! Thanks a ton for your help! now if I could only get my wireless working...

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    So get it working(wireless).Mine has a built-in broadcom.Works with ndiswrapper.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    20
    As I hinted at before, I'm not exactly a pro at Linux yet. Either way, I'm gonna look into it more before whining to you guys again . Thanks a ton for your help

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    Good attitude.
    There are lots of posts on this forum about ndiswrapper.
    If you need more help,post.
    Have Fun

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerah
    As I hinted at before, I'm not exactly a pro at Linux yet. Either way, I'm gonna look into it more before whining to you guys again . Thanks a ton for your help
    A suggestion ... Go look at the Wireless forum. There is a sticky post that might prove useful: Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking that tells you about a success with getting wireless up-and-running written by a complete novice for novices.

    I.e. Me

    There are also a few other posts of successes and the trials of getting things to work which may also be of some help.

    And if you get stuck, I like to help. Its the one thing I know something about -- I want to build up a little credit before asking some questions of my own.

    Cheers,

    Grant D. Vallance

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    20
    OK, I have done some messing around with my wireless, and now I can officially say I'm stuck. I followed these instuctions because I tried yours but I have knoppix 3.5 DVD edition installed and I don't have that handy little configuration thingy (at least not that I can see), if you know how to run that config thing with a command that might work. Anyway, my problem is, when I do that "modprobe ndiswrapper" thing it says "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper is not found." I have searched the internet alot, and will continue after posting this, but so far I am getting nothing helpful.

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Firefox 1.0.3 under 3.8.2 randomly exits ?
    By rcs in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 12:01 AM
  2. doesnt' always boot, locks up randomly
    By black_out in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
  3. Randomly working network
    By Zalminen in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:21 AM
  4. Some apps (moz,konq...) die randomly
    By bluegreenone in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 03:55 AM
  5. CDROM randomly not being detected
    By Rockstar in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S3E12000 RACK SERVER 2U 2x Xeon E5-2670 v3 2.30GHz 32GB RAM 2x PSU 14 BAY picture

Datto S3E12000 RACK SERVER 2U 2x Xeon E5-2670 v3 2.30GHz 32GB RAM 2x PSU 14 BAY

$399.95



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08