Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Multi booting

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84

    Multi booting

    I've done some bouncing around on the forum but I can't find the answer.

    I have Window$ ME on HDA1
    Knoppix 3.7 on HDA2
    Lindows 4.5 on HDA3
    An older Debain on HDA4
    And a general purpose area on HDA5 - I use this area for shared files

    I have loaded Lilo as the boot loader. Gone through modification of the lilo.conf and rerunning lilo. I can log into WME and back out without a glitch. I can even get into Knoppix and roam around on the Debain install - all without error or any overwrite of lilo... All works fine till I open Lindows

    That's when my existing lilo is overwritten by lilo from Lindows!

    How do I stop Lindows from running the script (jiffy boot?) that keeps overwriting my lilo?

    I think my blood pressure is going up...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Hmm well I have never even seen a Lindows OS before let alone knowing anything about it. Does it have run levels like Debian? Where is this 'jiffy-boot' script located and what calls it? I would think you could remove the script or at least remove whatver is calling the script. Strange that any OS wants to reinstall a boot loader everytime it boots......

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    Strange that any OS wants to reinstall a boot loader everytime it boots......
    Tell me about it! Lindows is a Debain Linux. You can find more at WWW.Linspire.com

    They went head-to-head with Micro$oft a couple years ago. Seams I remember M$ desiced to settel out of court. Too much evidence against their patent of "Windows".

    Anyway, I've asked this question at the Lindows web site too, but I was hoping I would get someones opinion from here too...

    Thanks

    GMD

Similar Threads

  1. Multi-Aterm
    By harryhood in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM
  2. Multi distros and LILO
    By radnor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 12:33 AM
  3. Live Multi-Distribution DVD
    By Distro-Don in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 12:03 AM
  4. Multi-booting on 1gb USB stick
    By pallendo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
  5. Help with Multi-boot in Lilo
    By o3greg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 0B36404 Ultrastar DC HC320 8TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, HUS728T8TALE6L4 picture

Western Digital 0B36404 Ultrastar DC HC320 8TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, HUS728T8TALE6L4

$250.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$509.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99