Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help Please -- XP won't boot after trying knoppix CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9

    Help Please -- XP won't boot after trying knoppix CD

    Hi there,
    Just downloaded the Knoppix CD Image and burnt to CD. I booted from CD and it loaded fine. When I shutdown and removed the CD, I then tried to boot XP and it just says - Non System disk or disk error. Can I fix from within Knoppix or do I need to get myself a recovery disk.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Newbie

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9
    Been searching some of the Forums and saw this thread.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14407
    I will try to restore MBR using the windows XP CD, but I am not sure how this happened as basically all I did was boot it up and shutdown.
    Thanks
    Steve

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    7
    Is it a Dell by any chance? The is an FAQ or something that said to unplug it for a minute and then try again. Something to with a buggy BIOS I think.
    Worth a try.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    knoppix didn't break it.
    I'd do like the above poster said first.
    Make sure there are no cds or floppies in any drives.
    Then I'd go into my bios and make sure my boot order was correct
    and my drives were recognized properly.
    Sounds like you have a non-system disk in a drive that is set to boot before
    your first hard drive.A floppy maybe.

Similar Threads

  1. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  4. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99