I don't know if an English (UK) keyboard is identical to a US one but on my keyboard the symbol
"|" you are looking for is directly under the backspace key, last key in that row to the right and is produced by holding down shift and that key. "|"
I have just installed Gnome display manager and set it as default display manager but now I'm having a couple of problems.
Firstly, I'm not getting any sound out of the speakers at all and I'm not sure what I need to do to configure it. Sound was working fine in KDE.
Secondly, after the login screen, as Gnome is loading in I'm getting about 8 boxes popping up, all
saying the same error message -
If I just close the boxes, everything seems to be working ok and the result of the gconftool thing isCode:Error activating XKB configuration. Probably internal X server problem. X server version data: The XFree86 Project, Inc 40300001 You are using XFree 4.3.0. There are known problems with complex XKB configurations. Try using simpler configuration or a newer version of the XFree software. If you report this situation as a bug, please include: - The result of xprop -root | grep XKB - The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkbShould I set the overideSettings to true?Code:layouts = [uk] model = microsoftinet overrideSettings = false options = []
I can't do the xprop thing cos I can't find out how to get that vertical line symbol.
[Edit] I forgot to add, this is a hard drive install using the Debian old installer way.
I don't know if an English (UK) keyboard is identical to a US one but on my keyboard the symbol
"|" you are looking for is directly under the backspace key, last key in that row to the right and is produced by holding down shift and that key. "|"
No, on mine it's at the very far left and just below the escape key.
It's a single key with 3 different symbols on it, I just don't know what I have to do to get that symbol.
Just pressing the key gives me ` and holding shift gives me this ¬

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72