Post your lilo.conf file please.
I've installed Knoppix 3.6 to my harddrive (physical harddrive 0, linux sees it as /dev/hda1), and have WinXP on physical harddrive 1, or /dev/hdb1. Knoppix setup LILO correctly, and it gives me the option to select Knoppix or WinXP, but when I select WinXP, it shows the text "loading Win2K/XP" or similar, but just sits there. Right now, I have to go into my BIOS and choose which hardrive I want to boot from (a pain for everyone else in the house). How can I fix this?
Post your lilo.conf file please.
Here's my lilo.conf:
# /etc/lilo.conf - See: 'lilo(' and 'lilo.conf(5)',
# --------------- 'install-mbr(', '/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
# and '/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.
# +---------------------------------------------------------------+
# | !! Reminder !! |
# | |
# | Don't forget to run 'lilo' after you make changes to this |
# | conffile, '/boot/bootmess.txt', or install a new kernel. The |
# | computer will most likely fail to boot if a kernel-image |
# | post-install script or you don't remember to run 'lilo'. |
# | |
# +---------------------------------------------------------------+
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/debianlilo.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp
delay=20
prompt
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=791
default="Linux"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet"
read-only
other=/dev/hdb1
label="WinXP/2K(hdb1)"
I don't think the problem is on lilo but on where you install XP.
For some reason, Xp don't like linux to be on first partition of first harddisk...
I believed you will not get this problem if you install XP on first partition of first harddisk (/dev/hda1) and linux on first partition of second hardisk (/dev/hdb1).
That may be, but I've had fedora installed on the same system with the same configuration, and it didn't have a problem.
Could I remove and re-install lilo to hdb1 somehow, then change the boot device to hdb1 in the bios?
Or should I look at a different boot loader to install on hdb1 under WinXP? Any suggestions?
Was XP originally installed to the primary slave HD (hdb), or was it initially master (hda), then swapped to slave? If that is the case you might need to adjust XP's boot.ini file...

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99
Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00