Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Getting my DVD drive working with Knoppix.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Getting my DVD drive working with Knoppix.

    Hello, I'm new to this site, and I am also a new linux user. I bought a linux format magizine with a DVD of live Distros on it. Well I installed knoppix, but after it's installed I can't get it to dectect my dvd drive. Well, I don't know how to go about having it dectect my dvd drive, but all I know is that it's not listed anywhere. Where do I go to have KDE/Knoppix/Linux attempt to detect my dvd drive. Also, do you know of any good knoppix, KDE, or Gnome books I could go looking for. I really want to get away from my "windows zombie" ways.

    Thanks,

    Arkon

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12577

    I t's hard to speculate why knoppix did not find your dvd drive without some more info of your pc's configuration and what you did to boot knoppix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    kelmo is right. It's hard to say without knowing some hardware details about your system but you can't play dvd's without libdvdcss.
    Code:
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
    su
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
    Then you also need to configure Xine or mplayer or whatever you use to watch dvd's. Most apps default to using /dev/dvd so presuming your dvd drive is /dev/hdb you'd simply create a symlink like so:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd

  4. #4

    still does not work

    I performed the task as you suggested mzililkazi, now instead of zine just not playing the DVD it locks up. I also did a ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dev and /dev/hdc /dev/dev it did not work. the error message states that it can not find /dev/dvd/ HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    kelmo is right. It's hard to say without knowing some hardware details about your system but you can't play dvd's without libdvdcss.
    Code:
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
    su
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
    Then you also need to configure Xine or mplayer or whatever you use to watch dvd's. Most apps default to using /dev/dvd so presuming your dvd drive is /dev/hdb you'd simply create a symlink like so:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: still does not work

    Quote Originally Posted by globaltekit
    I performed the task as you suggested mzililkazi, now instead of zine just not playing the DVD it locks up. I also did a ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dev and /dev/hdc /dev/dev it did not work. the error message states that it can not find /dev/dvd/ HELP
    Silly you did not read directions very well. It is /dev/dvd NOT /dev/dev. Now you need to remove those crazy symlinks you made.

    Get root
    Code:
    su
    rm -f /dev/cdrom /dev/dev
    ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd
    ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
    Now check it to see if it's done correctly.
    Code:
    ls -al /dev/dvd
    It should say:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Oct  6 17:24 /dev/dvd -> /dev/hdc
    The same for /dev/cdrom.
    Now, if your dvd/cdrom drive IS in fact /dev/hdc then it should work.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    well, I have a dvd drive that came with my pc, a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000.
    and btw, I don't really want to watch dvd's on it. I just want to use it for my cd's and such. And I can't get it dectected. by the way, thanks for the quick review.

  7. #7

    DVD

    Thanks for the corrections, mzilikazi, I got rid of the sym links as you suggested and performed the commands as you stated.

    su
    rm -f /dev/cdrom /dev/dev
    ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd
    ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

    ls -al /dev/dvd = lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Nov 14 03:51 /dev/dvd -> /dev/cdrom

    ls -al /dev/cdrom = lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 27 19:22 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

    Afterwards I placed a DVD into the drive and nothing happened. I thought it would have initiated xine automatically, but it did not. I also clicked on xine and it froze up again. I uesed Kpackage Mgr to load xine and all of its dependencies. Whats wrong NOW?????

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    AFAIK Xine does not have the ability to start automatically when you insert a DVD. Just to confirm, you did install libdvdcss as posted above right? Check the configuration of XINE to make sure it's using /dev/dvd (should be default).

    Is DMA enabled for your dvd drive?
    Code:
    hdparm /dev/hdb
    /dev/hdb:
     IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
     unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
     using_dma    =  1 (on)
     keepsettings =  0 (off)
     readonly     =  0 (off)
     readahead    = 256 (on)
     HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
    You can also try mplayer. From command line it's like this:
    Code:
    mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/hdb

Similar Threads

  1. Hard drive won't mount after previously working properly
    By decalvas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 02:26 AM
  2. USB drive not working
    By britt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:46 AM
  3. Why my USB (Handy) Drive is not working?
    By askme in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. Mouse / Lilo not working on the 3rd drive
    By Joninator in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 07:44 PM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99