Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix: boot supposedly inactive...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix: boot supposedly inactive...

    I have just done jdong's install guide (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=howto) (using knoppix-installer script instead of the old one) and when I reboot, i'll get to the NTLDR, I get to choose from two options:

    Win XP Home (which i named "Evil Bill Gates OS")
    Knoppix (^ "w00t_Linux_w00t")

    I choose Knoppix, and I get a constant blinking cursor. Nothing happens. Zip. Zilch. Etc.

    I don't know what happened. During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem. Dunno what to do from there.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try reinstall knoppix and this time let lilo install to mbr.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem.
    I have edited a qoute from myself regarding this to fit you better.
    The meaning of hdXY is simply your hard drive, where X is driveletter )a,b,c,d...) and Y is partition number (1,2....15, 16...) where you installed lilo.
    you could use the Win2000/NT/XP bootloader.
    to do that I let the nt bootloader and lilo work together for me. works well.
    quick sketch what i do, write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image in C:\ edit BOOT.INI mine looks like this.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=2
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    a few more details.

    1) as you made lilo write to the linuxpartitions root, you should have this line in lilo.conf:
    Code:
    boot=/dev/hdXY
    or give partition as an argument to lilo
    Code:
    lilo -b /dev/hdXY

    2) make a image of the root of the linuxpartition, and put it on a floppy, then in windows put it directly under C:\
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/mnt/auto/floppy/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1
    3) Modifiy c:\boot.ini -- add a line with:
    Code:
    C:\linux.ipl="Linux"
    repeat 1) and 2) every time you run LILO.

    Microsoft ntldr now believes you have yet another windows installed. happy booting
    oh btw, i have several linuxes booting from that same lilo.

Similar Threads

  1. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. How can I boot Knoppix using windows boot loader?
    By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NA -  OEM Stand - BN96-51632B picture

Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NA - OEM Stand - BN96-51632B

$125.00



Samsung T7 Shield 1TB USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Portable SSD MU-PE1T0S Brand New picture

Samsung T7 Shield 1TB USB 3.2 Gen 2 External Portable SSD MU-PE1T0S Brand New

$198.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-2133P ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin 15-102217-01 picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-2133P ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin 15-102217-01

$239.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



USED  Silver White Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8

USED Silver White Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" Kids Edition 32GB TABLET - SM-T290

$39.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00