Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can not get KNOPPIX Live CD to AUTO BOOT

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Can not get KNOPPIX Live CD to AUTO BOOT

    THIS IS MY FIRST ADVENTURE INTO LINUX AND AS SUCH I MAY BE GETTING IT TOTALY WRONG.

    I have burnt CD from ISO image and all files show up under win98
    but when I put Cd in reboot knoppix will not laod.

    I am trying to run it on a old p166. I have entered the bios to change boot up to first device CD-ROM but the motherboard is that old it has no
    bios setting to allow you to do this.

    can some one help please

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can not get KNOPPIX Live CD to AUTO BOOT

    Quote Originally Posted by SpliffDoctor
    I am trying to run it on a old p166. I have entered the bios to change boot up to first device CD-ROM but the motherboard is that old it has no bios setting to allow you to do this.
    First let me say that Linux is suffering at least as much from bloat as Windows is; I have an old P166 too and I can't even install Debain (including the GUI) on it. However, I can run Knoppix on it. You will not be impressed by the speed, but as long as you have at least 64 meg of ram and some hard disk space for a swap file you should be OK.

    Second, I too had CD booting problems. At first the box couldn't boot a CD at all. After a BOS upgrade it could boot some but would not boot Knoppix. I solved this with a great handy free utility called XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader). It installs to the hard drive as a boot manger and will let you boot from hard drive (any hard drive, not just the first), different partitions on the hard drive, CD (any CD drive, not just the first), floppy (again, any...) and so on. It can also do some other magic, like hiding some partitions when it boots, so it can let you have multiple copies of Windows installed on the same hard drive, and a lot more. Now I just come up in XOSL on that machine; it can boot either of 2 copies of Windows from the hard drive or anything, including Knoppix, from a CD. You can find a copy of it here: http://www.ranish.com/part/

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    Smart Boot Manager is a boot manager which will recognize partitions, including CD-Roms and then boot to them.

    I have used it off and on for years, particularly on older notebooks, especially ones with BIOS problems on recognizing Bootable CD's.

    The boot manager installs on a floppy and is 200-300KB if my memory is correct.

    A link is http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html

  4. #4
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP LADS GOT IT SORTED

    BOOT UP NOW

    THANKS A LOT

Similar Threads

  1. Why Knoppix is auto create the /etc/fstab in every boot ???
    By fowlertrainer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 09:10 PM
  2. Hdd install auto boot into 2.65?
    By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
  3. auto boot into 1024x768 w/o entering into boot: menu
    By HOLOTMO in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:08 AM
  4. A Live CD script for Auto Internet Login? (DSL)
    By bonecrusher in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:17 AM
  5. How do I auto mount HD partitions durring Knoppix boot?
    By audioaficionado in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 06:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SAMSUNG M393A4K40CB2-CVF 32GB PC4-23400 2933 RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY 32GB 2933MHZ picture

SAMSUNG M393A4K40CB2-CVF 32GB PC4-23400 2933 RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY 32GB 2933MHZ

$239.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 HMA84GR7CJR4N-XN 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC Server RAM RDIMM, TESTED picture

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 HMA84GR7CJR4N-XN 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC Server RAM RDIMM, TESTED

$289.95



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT OF 15 MIXED BRAND  32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RAM Memory Laptop DDR4 picture

LOT OF 15 MIXED BRAND 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RAM Memory Laptop DDR4

$2325.00



Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested picture

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested

$4200.00



Lot Of 50 4GB PC4 2133P 2400T 2666V 3200AA RAM DIMM Desktop Memory *From Scrap* picture

Lot Of 50 4GB PC4 2133P 2400T 2666V 3200AA RAM DIMM Desktop Memory *From Scrap*

$599.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB DDR4 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server Memory picture

Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB DDR4 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server Memory

$269.95