-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Can not get KNOPPIX Live CD to AUTO BOOT

Originally Posted by
SpliffDoctor
I am trying to run it on a old p166. I have entered the bios to change boot up to first device CD-ROM but the motherboard is that old it has no bios setting to allow you to do this.
First let me say that Linux is suffering at least as much from bloat as Windows is; I have an old P166 too and I can't even install Debain (including the GUI) on it. However, I can run Knoppix on it. You will not be impressed by the speed, but as long as you have at least 64 meg of ram and some hard disk space for a swap file you should be OK.
Second, I too had CD booting problems. At first the box couldn't boot a CD at all. After a BOS upgrade it could boot some but would not boot Knoppix. I solved this with a great handy free utility called XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader). It installs to the hard drive as a boot manger and will let you boot from hard drive (any hard drive, not just the first), different partitions on the hard drive, CD (any CD drive, not just the first), floppy (again, any...) and so on. It can also do some other magic, like hiding some partitions when it boots, so it can let you have multiple copies of Windows installed on the same hard drive, and a lot more. Now I just come up in XOSL on that machine; it can boot either of 2 copies of Windows from the hard drive or anything, including Knoppix, from a CD. You can find a copy of it here: http://www.ranish.com/part/
Similar Threads
-
By fowlertrainer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 09:10 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
-
By HOLOTMO in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:08 AM
-
By bonecrusher in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:17 AM
-
By audioaficionado in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of Vintage Ribbon Cables Untested Sold As Is
$99.99

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov
$275.00

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used
$47.99

Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

Vintage Zak McKracken Alien Mindbenders Big Box Commodore 64/128 Insert UNTESTED
$205.00

Vintage IBM ThinkPad 701C “Butterfly” Laptop – Collector’s Item
$500.00

Vintage Retro Lot IC CHIPS CERAMIC Plastic Assorted GOLD Scrap Collection Tubes
$199.99

Vintage Toshiba T3300SL Portable Computer Laptop 1991 Works Dark Screen Bundle
$449.99

Vintage Macintosh 128k 512k Microsoft FILE Version 1.0 Data Management File
$89.99

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99