Rather than ramble on I'll just point you here. They've said it all I think.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm
In fact you can go from ext2 to ext3 and back again (if you're brave)![]()
Rather than ramble on I'll just point you here. They've said it all I think.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm
In fact you can go from ext2 to ext3 and back again (if you're brave)![]()
No! You need to use an initrd ...Originally Posted by emanuelez
I wrote the journaling filesystem part of knx-hdinstall, so I know that it is not easy to use it on your boot partition afterwards ... (I think somewthing with xfs got wrong, I myself never tested it, seems to need pivot_root, am discussing this with author of knx-hdinstall just now (waiting for reply to my mail))
However:
apt-get install ash <debian-kernel>
should work and after making an initrd and having setup lilo.conf correctly all will work)
I'll in short explain, what goes wrong and why your system was ext2 even if you did install a journal...
The kernel has according to SuSE-people a bug. It prefers ext2 over ext3, when ext3 is a module and not builtin into kernel. This is no problem for mounting other partitions but one for root-partition ...
Kernel tries to do it ext2, succeeds and uses it that way ...
So journal is never recreated and fails desperately ...
One solution is to use an initial ramdisk, which loads jbd, ext3-module, pre-mounts the hd and the pivot_roots (change permant root) into it.
For reiserfs one only needs to load the module at startup, kernel will do the rest (no race condition, as kernel cannot mount it as an ext2, but also kernel panic without initrd!)
Christian most probably thought xfs, was the same, but it seems not to work, so we'll try to do it with pivot_root and then see if it works ...
Then you get a new version ...
If anyone wants to test an initrd with pivot_root and xfs he has to change following lines in knx-hdinstall (just copy it from /usr/local to . and then after cahning start with ./knx-hdinstall, that works):
change:
xfs)
INITMODS="$INITMODS xfs"
;;
to:
xfs)
INITMODS="$INITMODS xfs"
PIVOTFS="xfs"
;;
Then ./knx-hdinstall and see if that works ... (so no kernel panic at boot)
If it doesn't it would be nice to have the mount error-message...
cu
Fabian
thx mate!
i'll really miss these nice antialiased fonts :P
bah, they do know nothing ... (well, ok they know something but these are mistakesOriginally Posted by rickenbacherus
)
* ext3 only works that way if compiled into the kernel
* mount will show the entry from /etc/fstab not the real mount (and use /etc/mtab)
[ So it can show ext3 even if it is still ext2 ]
Do "cat /proc/mounts" if you need infos if its ext2 or ext3.
cu
Fabian![]()
huh ? Now I'm puzzled, what do you mean ?Originally Posted by emanuelez
cu
Fabian
PS: Sorry, for doing so much posts, but I was just answering to each of you!
So you're telling me that even though my fstab says ext3 and cat /proc/mounts says ext3 and even though I have lost power to my machine when I rebooted it says nothing about running fsck it is still ext2? Do I understand you correctly?Originally Posted by Fabianx
fabianx... many thanks for your help and support.
i tried to hdinstall knoppix 3.2 anso using wxt2 but i have the same cp error.
i guess i have to go back to knoppix 3.1
about antialiased fonts... i really like the way mozilla looks with them (dunno if it's because of xfree 4.3 or anything else) so i'll try to update my system once i get my old knoppinx 3.1 to work properly on hdd again![]()
No, if cat /proc/moutns says ext3 all is fine (and it IS ext3), but you cannot be so sure if only "mount" says ext3.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
If it works, we don't have to dicsuss it![]()
cu
Fabian
It sems from another Thread, that 2003-03-28 will solve your problem. (Though I haven't tested it yet.)Originally Posted by emanuelez
cu
Fabian
i downloaded the latestt version of knoppix 3.2. the hard link problem is gone but some new problem arrived.
so i got back to 3.1 and i'm tweaking it to fit my needs and likes.
i want to convert my ext2 to ext3 but i didn't understand what u told me about it.
do i have to recompile the kernel?
thx again!

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98
LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$1550.00