Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Introduction

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11

    Introduction

    Yep, first post here. I'm one of those long time lurker, first time poster type of people. Figured I might as well introduce myself now rather than later. I just installed Knoppix a few weeks ago and been correcting my own issues little by little.

    I figured the easiest way to fix my little bugs with Knoppix/Linux would be to HD install it on my mom's computer. Needless to say, she calls me every hour to figure something. My latest project is to install DamnSmallLinux (50Mb liveCD based on Knoppix) on a 9 year old 486SX Laptop that's worth absolutely nothing. I'll need luck, cause I already hit my first problem, can't find the Floppy drive (it's an external PCMCIA drive).

    -Stefan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Bidi
    Yep, first post here. I'm one of those long time lurker, first time poster type of people. Figured I might as well introduce myself now rather than later. I just installed Knoppix a few weeks ago and been correcting my own issues little by little.

    I figured the easiest way to fix my little bugs with Knoppix/Linux would be to HD install it on my mom's computer. Needless to say, she calls me every hour to figure something. My latest project is to install DamnSmallLinux (50Mb liveCD based on Knoppix) on a 9 year old 486SX Laptop that's worth absolutely nothing. I'll need luck, cause I already hit my first problem, can't find the Floppy drive (it's an external PCMCIA drive).

    -Stefan
    Well, Welcome Bidi, to the Wonderful World of Linux, Debian, "Sid", and GNU

    First of all, OUCH! ( on your mom's computer! ) I dont think I'd inflict my mom with this, giggle... ( maybe a nice I-Mac - LOL ) If I was going to do this to her, I'd spend at least a few hours on getting her used to what to click, and set up LOTS of shortcuts on the desktop...

    On your second issue, maybe a nice post in the "Laptop" forum on the PCMCIA thing, is a good start. I dont have a laptop, nor do I have PCMCIA, so I havent a clue, but I know "of" laptops, and I think that forum may be the best place to look, I am quite sure that your subject has been covered in that forum, at least once - maybe do a Search Knoppix.net with the keyword pcmcia in the box? You may find someone else has already "broken ground" on what you seek? You may want to look in the DOCS, as well, it may be a "known" issue, already... And, if all else fails, a post into the forum, will definately get you what you seek

    I cant remember what "my first post" was, but, I bet you it wasnt a "Hi" one, more likely, "HELP - How do I get 'this' working?" post... Hmmm, now I'm intrigued, what was my first post?????

    Again, welcome, good luck, and hope it all works out for you - ( and your mom doesnt kill you for what you DID to her - LOL ROTFLMAO ... )
    Ms. Cuddles

    EDIT:
    Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix... Sheesh, talk about a "blast from the past", and only coming up on a year ago, I sure have come a long way, since then
    END EDIT

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix...
    Haha.... dont' worry about me, I'll get as much info about a subject as possible before posting a question, that way I don't sound so stupid.

    As far as Knoppix on my mom's computer, it took 1 hour for her to get the basics. The biggest problems right now are getting programs that she uses and configuring it her way. And for the floppy thing, I meant I can't physically find the drive, I have no idea where I put it. I actually already have a question, let me go post it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Bidi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix...
    Haha.... dont' worry about me, I'll get as much info about a subject as possible before posting a question, that way I don't sound so stupid.

    As far as Knoppix on my mom's computer, it took 1 hour for her to get the basics. The biggest problems right now are getting programs that she uses and configuring it her way. And for the floppy thing, I meant I can't physically find the drive, I have no idea where I put it. I actually already have a question, let me go post it.
    Knoppix has a pcmia deamon. I don't think DSL has one though.

    (Whats my first post?)

    Found it, looks somewhat intelligent. I must have lurked also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile

$35.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Force10 GP-10GSFP-1S 10Gb SFP+ 10GBASE-SR 850nm Transceiver Lot of 19 - Used picture

Force10 GP-10GSFP-1S 10Gb SFP+ 10GBASE-SR 850nm Transceiver Lot of 19 - Used

$169.99



20 X  New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack picture

20 X New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack

$299.00



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00