Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New HD install.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19

    New HD install.

    So after gloriously screwing up my gentoo install last night, I just "bunged" knoppix onto my hard drive so I've got a usable distro.

    Now it's occured to me that as the object of having a gentoo install previously was so that I wasn't in the perennial distribution upgrade every 6 months, that I could just update/upgrade individual things over the months.

    Well I can do that with this as well can't I? (well I'm presuming so)

    So where should I be looking for advice/instruction on setup/customisation/personalisation ???

    Here or are there some debian forums that are worth looking into ? (or would I be best at somewhere general like linuxquestions maybe ?)

    regards

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Now it's occured to me that as the object of having a gentoo install previously was so that I wasn't in the perennial distribution upgrade every 6 months, that I could just update/upgrade individual things over the months.

    Well I can do that with this as well can't I? (well I'm presuming so)
    I could be wrong, but the Knoppix HD install works but it leaves you with a Debian system that is split between testing/unstable trees. This split makes your system difficult to remain current in regards to updates and security fixes. This is not to say it can't be done. However it may not be trivial process.
    There is a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix that is specifically designed to not have a split package system & allow easy HD installs.
    Google up Kanotix to read more about it.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    katonix eh?

    Ok, thanks very much. I'll go and check that out.

    regards

    John

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    katonix eh?

    Ok, thanks very much. I'll go and check that out.

    regards

    John
    Thats Kanotix...

    You can do a Search Knoppix.net in the box above, for almost anything your heart desires, probably someone has had a discussion on anything you can think of...

    As for updating, considering what UnderScore said, you might want to "upgrade" your software one at a time, dont do a "blanket" apt-get upgrade, or a "blanket" apt-get dist-upgrade - these can lead to possible problems - do a Search Knoppix.net for any of these subjects, and you will find "many" horror stories about when someone has done one of these commands. ( I am one of them )

    As far as "customization" stuff, take a look at KMenu -> Settings -> Control Center -=- lots of stuff can be set for customizing your environment...

    As far as installable "packages" / software - in a Command Line window, do a apt-get update, then to a apt-cache search topic - where "topic" is something you are interested in... Like this...

    apt-get update
    apt-cache search games


    or
    apt-cache search arcade
    apt-cache search firewall
    apt-cache search fantasy


    etc...

    Be sure you are connected to the internet, since the apt-get update wants to download all available packages from the sources you have, in the file /etc/apt/sources.list

    apt-cache command can be done off-line, but, if you want to do an install, you'll need that connection, and possibly be root when you do it.

    Hope this helps,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Chromebook 11.6

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)

$22.00



Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730 picture

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730

$55.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00