Wondering if possible to print to a printer hanging off a Windows PC on the network. LinNeighborhood sees the PC and the printer, I just can't find a way to make it the defaul printer for Knoppix.
Links, howtos much appreciated....
Wondering if possible to print to a printer hanging off a Windows PC on the network. LinNeighborhood sees the PC and the printer, I just can't find a way to make it the defaul printer for Knoppix.
Links, howtos much appreciated....
Got this to work so I thought I'd post. I wanted to be able to print from a PC running Knoppix on a SOHO network to a PC running WinMe wth a Canon BJC4400 on LPT1. Tried messing with rlpr with out luck. Turns out to be easy if all the daemons are invoked.
1. Make sure the Win PC is on and printer can be shared.
2. Boot Knoppix from CD. Open root prompt and start cupsd, smbd and lisa.
3. Start LinNeighborhood to verify Knoppix can see WinPC and printer.
4. Start printing manager KNOPPIX>Configure>Configure Printer(s). Click Add then Add Printer/Class. Check SMB shared Printer.
Set up password if needed
On the next screen, click Scan and the PC then Printer.
The rest is basically just printer setup.
Hope this helps.
If your Windows box is running NT, 2000, XP, or later, you could simply enable Print Services for Unix. Here are the steps for Win 2K:
Log in as an Administrator.
- Open the Control Panel
- Open Add/Remove Programs
- Select Add/Remove Windows Components
- Scroll down to Other Network File and Print Services
- Select it and click Details...
- Check the box for Print Services for Unix
- Click OK
- Click Next >
- Click Finish
- Close Add/Remove Programs
- Open Programs : Administrative Tools : Services
- Scroll down to TCP/IP Print Server
- Right-click on it and select Properties
- Change Startup type from Manual to Automatic and click Apply
- Click Start
- Click OK
- Close Services
Now you only need cupsd on the KNOPPIX side. Add a new printer using LPR/LPD protocol; you will need to know the IP address of the Windows box and the printer's share name (= LPD queue name).
Another idea:
http://localhost:631 (the cups admin system)
go to configuration, add printer, follows then screen prompts until it asks you to choose the network printer type.
Select windows samba printer then when prompted for the uri, type in:
uri:
smb://usernameassword@windowsmachine/sharedprintername
Don't forget to save your knoppix settings afterward.
My problem is so similar to this that I thought I could express it as a reply here rather than as a new topic. I too am trying to print to a winbox that has an hp deskjet 3420 shared printer. My knoppix box sees that printer on the lan after doing a scan and I select the driver and do a config. I print a test page. Nothing happens at the printer. At the winbox I can see the print job queued at the printer, but it just doesn't print.
Now, if I boot the winbox having the printer as Knoppix and install the printer as local on the usb, everything prints just fine.
Any suggestions all?
Hi,
I had the same problem and solved it by enabling spooling on my XP printer.
![]()

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00
Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99