Hei - is there a sound expert around..
On my knoppix/hdd setup I couldn't connect to Skype using my USB VoIP phone. 'Modinfo audio' showed it but there was no /dev/dsp1 mixer.
Eventually by comparing with Suse and Gentoo systems that worked, I added/upgraded a couple of usb/alsa utils, so now my cyberphone is recognized, and I at last can connect to Skype!
HOWEVER, in the process my onboard sound changed from /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dsp1 - the cyberphone is now /dev/dsp0 - the opposite of my Suse and Gentoo systems.
Does anyone know how that might be reversed so multimedia apps can again find the good old onboard default device?
Or how I can make /dev/dsp1 the default alsa sound device?
regards
The solution was to be found in amixer -h
# amixer -c1 -D1 # makes card1 and dsp1 Default
Kaffeine is now playing one of my favourite jazz piecesYES!
SORRY: Looks as tho' I was wrong the 'amixer fix' is not correct
I still have the problem, but at least amixer shows which card is 'default'

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72