ok thanks.

I'll poke around... see what i can find. It's weird that it isn't finding it on the Live CD.

Seems, though, that since knoppix is sooo useful, has so many tools, and runs on a debian linux. Also, since the install process is EXTREMELY simple(3 steps, 1. partition, 2. configure, 3. install) it makes sense over other versions.

I could be wrong, but on my UNIX 486, i had to install the K desktop environment separaely from the kernel. Also, the kernel didn't do much when first installed. Knoppix had (almost) everything i needed.

I see what you are saying, though, about why an HD install might pose *some* problems.

I have heard of a program called driverloader. I know from ndiswrapper that (at least network cards) windows drivers can be loaded in linux. If i could do this, getting a generic flash disk driver should be simple, as they come with windows.

Do you know of a program to do this? Maybe driver loader, but where i have heard of it was mentioned when i was getting my lan card working(was still live CD then...). ndiswrapper was the free way to do that...