Did you mount the drive?
Ok, so i have a compUSA 16mb USB flash HD designed for windows 98, 98SE, 2000, and xp(according to the package). I purchased it for the purpose of file transfers between my (linux) system and my dad's (windows) system, since i can't get Samba to work.(DON'T TIP ME ON SAMBA! i am solving this now)
Knoppix "supposedly" supports this .... the boot sequence sais "USB found managed by hotplug", but i cannot find the flash device once in KDE.
I looked in /dev but only took a glance, since i really didnt know what i was looking for,
I looked in /mnt. Definately NOT there
Any ideas?
OTHER INFO
==============
Works great in windows. I formatted it as FAT file system
16 MB size. windows sees it as 15.5 for some reason...
Booting with it already in
Did you mount the drive?
Does Linux see your drive?The USB drives are usually accessed through SCSI emulation so it's going to be /dev/sda or similar.Code:lsusb
Ok, in reply to the first reply...
How do you mount? The only mounting i have done is when i click an HD icon
Second, let me try /dev/sda ... i don't think i saw that but i'll check
Originally Posted by Jakykong
However, I get an icon for my usb memory gizmo when I boot and can click it (although you might have to be sure you mount it as read/write if you actually want to to write stuff to it). Mine shows up as "sda1".Code:man mount
sda1 doesen't show up anywhere. The only other SCSI things i have are my HDs.
But i think i might have found a problem...
My USB ports are built on an internal Generic HUB. I only have 1 usb port in the system, it is connected(internally) to a four port hub
Works fine in windows. Does knoppix support usb hubs?
Could lead to a problem if it doesent...
It does for me. When I mentioned that I had plugged my USB devce in and it just worked on CD boot, I had actually plugged it into a USB hub next to my notebook. Did it last night with a different USB flash drive, a different version of Knoppix, the same hub, and using the noscsi cheat code (because of the previous mention of scsi emulation). Even though I was using the noscsi cheat code I still had access to my USB flash drive as sda1 . Note that my device is there when I boot; installing it later might yield different and less satisfactory results.Originally Posted by Jakykong
Yeah,. its there when i boot... just gotta find it in the /dev folder
What is strange is that it doesent show up on the desktop as a hard drive icon... should it?
Mine does, and is in the dev folder. Clearly yours is different. Don't know why. Sorry.
no prob...
I rebooted and this time i got an sda1 in the /mnt folder. Thaught it finally worked, but the folder sais it is 0 bytes in size.
It's a 16MB flash drive, and it makes no sense that it would only have 0 bytes of writable data.
In windows i did a low-level format, and there is some data on it. The FAT file system is currently in place(according to windows).

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99