Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable

    Hello,

    I recently bought a SanDisk 512 MB Micro USB flash drive. I can boot into Knoppix using a CD. (I am using the most recent version of Knoppix, since I downloaded and made the CD within the last week.)

    Knoppix autodetects the flash drive as a read-only SCSI drive (sda1). The thing is, I would like to be able to write to USB flash drive.

    How should I mount this flash drive as a writeable drive?

    Please note that /mnt is not writeable.

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    - Jay

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can right-click the desktop icon and uncheck "read only" in the device tab or open a terminal and do:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    If you need to specify filesystem check /etc/fstab and add for example -t vfat

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hello Markus,

    thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

    In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_kpx
    Hello Markus,

    thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

    In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.
    That way witht he GUI doesn't work.

    Right click the drive -> actions -> change read/write

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Glad at least the command worked.
    I must say I'm getting more and more adverse (is that a word?) to answering Live-CD questions since I hardly ever use it. Just wondering how all the other people here manage to remember all the stuff. Do you actually run the cd or should I answer one of those emails selling "pills that increase your memory capacity"? They seem to have a special price just for me, you know.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    After modifying fstab or doing it in the Desktop as suggested, remember to save the Knoppix configuration to /mnt/sda1. When you boot you should use knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 and it should work fine. I have the same drive you do and works perfect.

Similar Threads

  1. HDD Mounted drive oddity
    By DB1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 04:55 AM
  2. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  3. Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
  4. Unable to read mounted drive
    By squeegy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM
  5. Making the hard drive writeable...
    By howagood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Mixed Brand 120/128/240/256GB SSD 2.5

Mixed Brand 120/128/240/256GB SSD 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s Internal Solid State Drive

$34.99



Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ picture

Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ

$49.95