You could just burn the iso you have and at boot, enter the cheatcode
There probably is a more elegant way to change the image but if all you want to do is run knoppix in english, I think this will work.Code:knoppix lang=us
A friend gave me a copy of KNOPPIX_3.4-2004-05-17-DE.iso. The md5sum for this checks out OK.
Of course the language for this will be German by default, so before considering burning a CD I went to
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/knoppix/index.html
and got knoppixlang.zip. I also installed Python 2.3 on my Win2000Pro pc. I put the abovementioned Knoppix.iso, the unzipped knoppixlang.py etc files & Python 2.3 all in the same folder on a FAT32 drive.
So I open the python GUI console and enter the line suggested by the knoppixlang webpage:
knoppixlang.py --lang=us KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-DE.iso
and i get ----SYNTAX ERROR!!!
Variants like (eg) >>>python knoppixlang.py --lang=us KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-DE.iso, or
knoppixlang.py --lang=en KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-DE.iso
give other syntax errors. Also, using the python command line instead yields the same non-results.
What am I doing wrong? Is there a bug in this script? Can I change the default language of my iso to english some other way (as opposed to having to manually type it in every time I boot?)
Thanks for any help - I have a slow connection and can't realistically download the en iso.
![]()
You could just burn the iso you have and at boot, enter the cheatcode
There probably is a more elegant way to change the image but if all you want to do is run knoppix in english, I think this will work.Code:knoppix lang=us
Problem fixed - the script author was kind enough to email me directly. Thanks Chris!
The line:
python knoppixlang.py --lang=us KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-DE.iso
has to be entered in the WINDOWS command prompt, not the python shell! You then type 'y' when prompted to replace the x instances of 'de' in the iso with 'us'.
Script works very well - my German iso was completely changed to English. All menus etc in the burnt boot CD are english.
BTW: as downloaded the iso is read-only. File permissions for the iso need to be changed to allow writing by deselecting 'read-only' in the file properties (right-click on file icon) before running the script, otherwise you get "permission denied".
Strongly recommended.![]()
1) Open and Edit the German ISO file with UltraISO
2) Extract the file isolinux.cfg from the folder boot\isolinux right clicking on the file and selecting “Extract to…”
3) Open the file with a good Hex Editor
4) Look for all the entries with “lang=de” and change them to “lang=en”. There are as many as 11 perhaps more.
5) Save the file with the hex editor
6) Use again UltraISO to inject the file back into the same folder
7) Save the file as a new ISO file.
8) The new ISO is an English bootable Knoppix
Same applies to other languages as French. Hope this helps
And the reason you don't just download the EN iso (KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso) is what exactly?Originally Posted by Flip
Perhaps he's got a slow conn.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95