Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable

    Hello,

    I recently bought a SanDisk 512 MB Micro USB flash drive. I can boot into Knoppix using a CD. (I am using the most recent version of Knoppix, since I downloaded and made the CD within the last week.)

    Knoppix autodetects the flash drive as a read-only SCSI drive (sda1). The thing is, I would like to be able to write to USB flash drive.

    How should I mount this flash drive as a writeable drive?

    Please note that /mnt is not writeable.

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    - Jay

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can right-click the desktop icon and uncheck "read only" in the device tab or open a terminal and do:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    If you need to specify filesystem check /etc/fstab and add for example -t vfat

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hello Markus,

    thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

    In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_kpx
    Hello Markus,

    thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

    In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.
    That way witht he GUI doesn't work.

    Right click the drive -> actions -> change read/write

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Glad at least the command worked.
    I must say I'm getting more and more adverse (is that a word?) to answering Live-CD questions since I hardly ever use it. Just wondering how all the other people here manage to remember all the stuff. Do you actually run the cd or should I answer one of those emails selling "pills that increase your memory capacity"? They seem to have a special price just for me, you know.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    After modifying fstab or doing it in the Desktop as suggested, remember to save the Knoppix configuration to /mnt/sda1. When you boot you should use knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 and it should work fine. I have the same drive you do and works perfect.

Similar Threads

  1. HDD Mounted drive oddity
    By DB1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 04:55 AM
  2. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  3. Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
  4. Unable to read mounted drive
    By squeegy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM
  5. Making the hard drive writeable...
    By howagood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$129.95



HP ProDesk 400 G5 Desktop Mini Intel Core i5-9500T Gen 8GB DDR4 As-Is For Parts picture

HP ProDesk 400 G5 Desktop Mini Intel Core i5-9500T Gen 8GB DDR4 As-Is For Parts

$49.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$199.99