-
Junior Member
registered user
Saving time: saving configuration files at reinstalling
I recently move from knoppix to kanotix, but I think I have a good idea for both.
Ok, here is my request!
When we format and re-install our favourite O.S., we loose all information (so this is a request for HD installing script). I think it will be a good idea (and not a difficult idea I think) to add a way for user to save some configuration files before formatting. This files would be at memory, and after installing the O.S., the script will save original program files by renaming to xxxxx.SAVE and installing the user files (or something like that, like copy user files at a this home directory instead delete original programs files).
The configuration files could be:
fstab
smb.conf
kde configuration
firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror/... bookmarks
etc
It's NOT easy because we have different programs, but the script could search the most common and add a option to save our favourite files.
Thanks a lot for doing knoppix (and kanotix
)
Bye!
-
Well, with a separate /home partition all you need to do after reinstalling is point your /home in fstab to the partition and all user settings and files are restored.
Also you can just backup files in /etc and replace them after the install with old ones.
Or did I misunderstand the question?
-
Junior Member
registered user
The idea is that the program make this work for u.
The idea is that the program make this work for u.
I put these files in another partition when I format my hard disk, but always forget something and remember after, when I need with the new OS. The idea is to make this some kind of automatic.
Ciao!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Saving time: saving configuration files at reinstalling

Originally Posted by
Bleim
I recently move from knoppix to kanotix, but I think I have a good idea for both.
Ok, here is my request!
When we format and re-install our favourite O.S., we loose all information (so this is a request for HD installing script). I think it will be a good idea (and not a difficult idea I think) to add a way for user to save some configuration files before formatting. This files would be at memory, and after installing the O.S., the script will save original program files by renaming to xxxxx.SAVE and installing the user files (or something like that, like copy user files at a this home directory instead delete original programs files).
The configuration files could be:
fstab
smb.conf
kde configuration
firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror/... bookmarks
etc
Those are diretories and files. You only need to backup two directories as Markus has already mentioned. I don't think this requires a script but here you go.
#!/bin/sh
cp -R /home /mnt/backup
cp -R /etc /mnt/backup
Then just replace what you want. Or you can have both /home and /etc on their own partition and simply mount those partitions after an installation.
Similar Threads
-
By fungi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
-
By politelyerased in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-15-2005, 11:56 PM
-
By djenner in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
-
By lothario in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:02 AM
-
By plus1hdcp in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105
$19.95