Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Saving time: saving configuration files at reinstalling

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16

    Saving time: saving configuration files at reinstalling

    I recently move from knoppix to kanotix, but I think I have a good idea for both.
    Ok, here is my request!

    When we format and re-install our favourite O.S., we loose all information (so this is a request for HD installing script). I think it will be a good idea (and not a difficult idea I think) to add a way for user to save some configuration files before formatting. This files would be at memory, and after installing the O.S., the script will save original program files by renaming to xxxxx.SAVE and installing the user files (or something like that, like copy user files at a this home directory instead delete original programs files).

    The configuration files could be:
    fstab
    smb.conf
    kde configuration
    firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror/... bookmarks
    etc

    It's NOT easy because we have different programs, but the script could search the most common and add a option to save our favourite files.


    Thanks a lot for doing knoppix (and kanotix )

    Bye!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, with a separate /home partition all you need to do after reinstalling is point your /home in fstab to the partition and all user settings and files are restored.
    Also you can just backup files in /etc and replace them after the install with old ones.
    Or did I misunderstand the question?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16

    The idea is that the program make this work for u.

    The idea is that the program make this work for u.
    I put these files in another partition when I format my hard disk, but always forget something and remember after, when I need with the new OS. The idea is to make this some kind of automatic.

    Ciao!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Saving time: saving configuration files at reinstalling

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleim
    I recently move from knoppix to kanotix, but I think I have a good idea for both.
    Ok, here is my request!

    When we format and re-install our favourite O.S., we loose all information (so this is a request for HD installing script). I think it will be a good idea (and not a difficult idea I think) to add a way for user to save some configuration files before formatting. This files would be at memory, and after installing the O.S., the script will save original program files by renaming to xxxxx.SAVE and installing the user files (or something like that, like copy user files at a this home directory instead delete original programs files).

    The configuration files could be:
    fstab
    smb.conf
    kde configuration
    firefox/mozilla/opera/konqueror/... bookmarks
    etc
    Those are diretories and files. You only need to backup two directories as Markus has already mentioned. I don't think this requires a script but here you go.

    #!/bin/sh
    cp -R /home /mnt/backup
    cp -R /etc /mnt/backup

    Then just replace what you want. Or you can have both /home and /etc on their own partition and simply mount those partitions after an installation.

Similar Threads

  1. saving configuration
    By fungi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
  2. Saving configuration?
    By politelyerased in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 11:56 PM
  3. Saving the configuration
    By djenner in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
  4. saving the time zone
    By lothario in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:02 AM
  5. help saving my configuration
    By plus1hdcp in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$949.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$305.98