Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Starter's questions

  1. #1

    Starter's questions

    I've been using SuSE, but have really begun to love Knoppix. There are a few questions I have, and hopefully, I'll be doing an HD install soon

    1. I launch the Screen Resize and Rotate tool, and it won't let me change my resolution to anything above 1024 x 768. In SuSE and WinXP, I can go up much farther (I want 1280 x 1024). Any way to fix this?

    2. When doing an HD-install, do I manually need to install LILO/GRUB or is it done already in the installation procedure?

    3. Is all of the included software on the CD put on the HD after the install? (I love the variety of applications here <3)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You can edit the Xconfig file. (/etc/x11, I think)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Starter's questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    I've been using SuSE, but have really begun to love Knoppix. There are a few questions I have, and hopefully, I'll be doing an HD install soon

    1. I launch the Screen Resize and Rotate tool, and it won't let me change my resolution to anything above 1024 x 768. In SuSE and WinXP, I can go up much farther (I want 1280 x 1024). Any way to fix this?
    You can only select resolutions found in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. It's possible that the autoconfiguration (staying on the safe side of thiings) did not write that resolution to your file so add it.

    2. When doing an HD-install, do I manually need to install LILO/GRUB or is it done already in the installation procedure?
    It's done during installation. Tell the installer to put it in the MBR.

    3. Is all of the included software on the CD put on the HD after the install? (I love the variety of applications here <3)
    Yep!

  4. #4
    Awesome.

    And, when LILO/GRUB are installed, do they automatically add my Windows XP installation into there, or do I need to do something additional?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    It should add XP to the menu as well. If for some reason it doesn't it's quite easy to do it afterwards.

  6. #6
    Sounds great.

    Another question Can Knoppix directly install RPMs or do they have to be converted with Alien?

    And, this is really newbish, but how do you install a .deb file? :P

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    Sounds great.

    Another question Can Knoppix directly install RPMs or do they have to be converted with Alien?

    And, this is really newbish, but how do you install a .deb file? :P
    I am always suprised by the number of people that want to use rpms. You should always use .debs unless there just isn't one then yes you can use alien to convert an rpm to a deb.

    You install a .deb w/ dpkg.
    Code:
    dpkg -i packagename.deb

  8. #8
    And perhaps the final question, is Kanotix better than plain Knoppix for a HD install?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    And perhaps the final question, is Kanotix better than plain Knoppix for a HD install?
    Well this is a subject of great debate. If you install Knoppix to hdd there are some things that you should not do like use apt in the manner in which it was designed to be used. It will break your OS. Kanotix OTO does work as expected after an installation and there is very good support directly from the developer himself.

  10. #10
    I suppose I'll have to try both.. even though Kanotix looks better for an HD-install

Similar Threads

  1. 2 questions please help
    By wayne in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 07:17 AM
  2. 2 questions
    By jacksonon in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 08:55 PM
  3. Just few questions
    By Nikolay in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM
  4. Questions from the new guy
    By Liquidant in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
  5. a few questions
    By bulio in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99