I'm trying to cut down applications for use on a public system. Does anyone know of a good solid list on Knoppix 3.6 of programs and catagories so I can do a cut/past on what I want removed.
Thanks,
Richard-
I'm trying to cut down applications for use on a public system. Does anyone know of a good solid list on Knoppix 3.6 of programs and catagories so I can do a cut/past on what I want removed.
Thanks,
Richard-
Sure, go to one of the download mirrors and have a look at packages.txt. If you want the apps categorized then use Synaptic or Kpackage.
Edit
You know, now that I think of it there are some cool tricks to get the package list looking like you want it.
For a CR seperated list do:
For a space separated list do:Code:COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'>pkg.txt
Now you can feed this file to apt-getCode:COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
You *may* however need to break it into smaller files. Not because it's too large but (due to dependencies) you could remove some pkgs you'd rather keep. In my experience it's better to make multiple files and experiment with each one but then again I remove ALOT of pkgs!Code:apt-get remove `cat pkg.txt`
If you use Synaptic, make your package selections then:
File>Save Markings As>pkg.txt
Then you do almost the same thing only Synaptic uses a different format so pass a different argument to awk:
Code:COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'>pkg.txtHTHCode:COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
Thanks...I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. It's kind of different, usually I want as many programs and apps as possible. I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.
Richard-
Maybe you want Damn Small Linux, a full Linux Live CD in 50 megs.Originally Posted by richardljohnson
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But then again, it still has lots of stuff in there including test editing and spread sheet software, a browser or two, and a CD burner. A list of packages is here:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html
It's a shame, too many people want to run applications; not enough want to run just the OS any more![]()

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00