Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Is there a list?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16

    Is there a list?

    I'm trying to cut down applications for use on a public system. Does anyone know of a good solid list on Knoppix 3.6 of programs and catagories so I can do a cut/past on what I want removed.

    Thanks,

    Richard-

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sure, go to one of the download mirrors and have a look at packages.txt. If you want the apps categorized then use Synaptic or Kpackage.
    Edit
    You know, now that I think of it there are some cool tricks to get the package list looking like you want it.

    For a CR seperated list do:
    Code:
    COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'>pkg.txt
    For a space separated list do:
    Code:
    COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
    Now you can feed this file to apt-get
    Code:
    apt-get remove `cat pkg.txt`
    You *may* however need to break it into smaller files. Not because it's too large but (due to dependencies) you could remove some pkgs you'd rather keep. In my experience it's better to make multiple files and experiment with each one but then again I remove ALOT of pkgs!

    If you use Synaptic, make your package selections then:
    File>Save Markings As>pkg.txt
    Then you do almost the same thing only Synaptic uses a different format so pass a different argument to awk:
    Code:
    COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'>pkg.txt
    Code:
    COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks...I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. It's kind of different, usually I want as many programs and apps as possible. I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.

    Richard-

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by richardljohnson
    I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.
    Maybe you want Damn Small Linux, a full Linux Live CD in 50 megs.
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    But then again, it still has lots of stuff in there including test editing and spread sheet software, a browser or two, and a CD burner. A list of packages is here:
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html

    It's a shame, too many people want to run applications; not enough want to run just the OS any more

Similar Threads

  1. my wish list
    By jtav in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 02:51 AM
  2. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  3. Apt Sources list
    By Timo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM
  4. sources.list
    By patiscool in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:42 AM
  5. Getting a list of what apt-get *would* get
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



(4x32GB) Hynix DDR4 3200 MHz PC4 2Rx8 DIMM Desktop Memory RAM HMAA4GU6AJR8N-XN picture

(4x32GB) Hynix DDR4 3200 MHz PC4 2Rx8 DIMM Desktop Memory RAM HMAA4GU6AJR8N-XN

$925.00



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400) picture

Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400)

$375.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00