-
Junior Member
registered user
Is there a list?
I'm trying to cut down applications for use on a public system. Does anyone know of a good solid list on Knoppix 3.6 of programs and catagories so I can do a cut/past on what I want removed.
Thanks,
Richard-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sure, go to one of the download mirrors and have a look at packages.txt. If you want the apps categorized then use Synaptic or Kpackage.
Edit
You know, now that I think of it there are some cool tricks to get the package list looking like you want it.
For a CR seperated list do:
Code:
COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'>pkg.txt
For a space separated list do:
Code:
COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
Now you can feed this file to apt-get
Code:
apt-get remove `cat pkg.txt`
You *may* however need to break it into smaller files. Not because it's too large but (due to dependencies) you could remove some pkgs you'd rather keep. In my experience it's better to make multiple files and experiment with each one but then again I remove ALOT of pkgs!
If you use Synaptic, make your package selections then:
File>Save Markings As>pkg.txt
Then you do almost the same thing only Synaptic uses a different format so pass a different argument to awk:
Code:
COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'>pkg.txt
Code:
COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
HTH
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks...I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. It's kind of different, usually I want as many programs and apps as possible. I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.
Richard-
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
richardljohnson
I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.
Maybe you want Damn Small Linux, a full Linux Live CD in 50 megs.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But then again, it still has lots of stuff in there including test editing and spread sheet software, a browser or two, and a CD burner. A list of packages is here:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html
It's a shame, too many people want to run applications; not enough want to run just the OS any more
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 02:51 AM
-
By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
-
By Timo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:50 AM
-
By patiscool in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2004, 12:42 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$123.16

Dell Latitude 7480 Intel Core I5-6300u 2.40GHZ 8GB 256GB Touch WCam W11 Cord
$85.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10
$1505.77

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$189.99