Don't give up hope. Maybe the link (below) will help, also what version of knoppix are you trying to install?
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
Now everytime i get to Qtparted is says device not found i'm assuming its not seeing my HD. Starting to think Linux ain't for me. Its a new system I have no other operating system installed. I do believe the HD is SATA.
Don't give up hope. Maybe the link (below) will help, also what version of knoppix are you trying to install?
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
3.6 is what I've been trying to install. Redhat installs and runs just don't like it as much as knoppix. I already purchased SUSE and REDHAT for this dell server and i don't like REDHAT. SUSE doesn't see my nic card I can see why Bill Gates has what he does. I've not been able to load any extra programs like eggdrops or nothing. If i had any hair I'd have pulled it all out by now. If I had a temper I'd have beat this DELL already.
Bubba, Take it one step at a time and it is doable. Knoppix has great hardware recogniztion, but sata drives are relatively new. Have you gone to that link (provided previously) and read over the how-to?
I also had a problem installing 3.6 whereas there was no problem with 3.3.
The command recommended in documentation for installing 3.6 to a HD is
' knoppix-installer ' but nowhere in the all the documentation is it mentioned that it depends on what directory is active in the command line.
Just on a suspicion, I did a
' whereis knoppix-installer '
and it came back with ' /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer ' .
So, I ran this command:
sudo /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer
and there it was----the Installation Wizard that lets you set up the partitioning and installation.
knoppix 3.6 now works beautifully, thank you.
I'm wondering if perhaps some issues of the KNOPPIX 3.6 Cds default to a different location for the knoppix-installer.
A good distro is Kanotix. I believe it's a step up from knoppix and includes alot more. I run Kanotix BH8 and love the way it works.
I did go to the site, changed bios but it is a SATA controller it didn't see the HD once i attempted to change the bios. I will keep trying just getting frustrated. Redhat does load and works just not liking it as good as knoppix.
Hey Bubba, I can understand the aggravation-I've been there too.
Just a thought maybe you want to wait for knoppix 3.8 which maybe be out soon (?)
That version could have better sata support.
Kanotix is installing at this moment, thank you. It saw the HD now to work my way through the install. Sucks being a newbie.
Ok kanotix was able to install to HD but does not support my nic card it seems. I'm so close to giving up.

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$325.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$490.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00