Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Screen resolution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8

    Screen resolution

    Hi

    I've just downloaded Knoppix and burned the CD and the first boot process just worked fine.

    I have a 23" flat LCD from HP that has a resolution of 1920x1200 pixels, but Knoppix only shows me 1024x768. I have tried "knoppix fb=1920x1200" or "knoppix screen=1920x1200" but the max resolution I get is always 1024x768. And all the different options I can chose once it is up are all lower resolutions.

    How can I get the higher resolution to work? Any help appreciated as I'm an absolute Linux illiterate.

    Matth

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8
    Nobody with an idea? :

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    17

    Same issue

    No help but I have the same issue trying to get to 1280x1024 and stuck at 1024x768. I also tried what you did to no avail. So I add my plea for help to yours.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Same issue

    Quote Originally Posted by richb
    No help but I have the same issue trying to get to 1280x1024 and stuck at 1024x768. I also tried what you did to no avail. So I add my plea for help to yours.
    One of two things have to happen first.

    A: knoppix correctly finds and sets up your video card.
    B: You manually change the XFree86 config file.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8

    Floppy?

    Hi Firebyrd

    Does this mean, that I then have to boot from a floppy disc? Is there no way to do it by cheat codes?

    As I'm a complete Linux newbie, how would I set up my video card and change the config file?

    I do have a Hercules 3D Prophet III card and a HP L2335 flat panel monitor.

    Thank you for your help.

    Matth

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Him, not entirly sure on this one.

    To really save an configs You would need to have a config file or hd-install.

    Pain, yes.

    There is however an option in the KNOPPIX menu to install software while running the cd. In it is an option to install nvidia drivers. Try that out.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    17

    Re: Same issue

    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Quote Originally Posted by richb
    No help but I have the same issue trying to get to 1280x1024 and stuck at 1024x768. I also tried what you did to no avail. So I add my plea for help to yours.
    One of two things have to happen first.

    A: knoppix correctly finds and sets up your video card.
    B: You manually change the XFree86 config file.
    My XFree86 config file shows all available video modes from 1280x1024 down but only 1024x768 is available. How do I go about changing it to recognize other modes?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    How do i find the XFree86 config file?

    ive managed to find the executable...

    please help...

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    36
    try the fb=(screen resolution) along with vsync=(try different values ex 60,70) cheatcode. but becareful, the wrong setting could eventually ruin the monitor. If the vsync # isnt correct the screen will be unreadable.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    i tried that

    thanks for the replie.. but ive managed to get it working now by editing the XF86-4 file... in etc/X11 and it works great

Similar Threads

  1. How to set screen resolution?
    By Islington in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
  2. Screen Resolution
    By tilleyrw in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
  3. Can't get the right screen resolution
    By Darcian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
  4. Screen resolution
    By Buck1 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
  5. Screen Resolution
    By Patrick21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99