Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HDD read only, cannot access

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32

    HDD read only, cannot access

    maxtor 20gig HDD

    I read XP can overwrite Knoppix files (being the superior OS that it is) so Installed windows Xp pro to a 11Gig partitiion first...

    now when I try to install knoppix, i select my HDD in the partition program and it tells me that its read only and cannot access it.
    Is there a reason for this? Whats wrong?

    thats aas far as I can get so far...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    Check what you are dealing with. HDD is the slave drive of the second IDE, if present. Usually it is a CD or DVD, if present. Do you have a hard drive mounted as a slave on the second IDE?

    Your partitions are hda1 hda2 hda3 etc. on your first (typically boot) hard drive. If you have a second hard drive it is usually hdb. the partitions on it are hdb1, etc. hdc is typically a cd or dvd possibly with write capabilities.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by rcook
    Check what you are dealing with. HDD is the slave drive of the second IDE, if present. Usually it is a CD or DVD, if present. Do you have a hard drive mounted as a slave on the second IDE?

    Your partitions are hda1 hda2 hda3 etc. on your first (typically boot) hard drive. If you have a second hard drive it is usually hdb. the partitions on it are hdb1, etc. hdc is typically a cd or dvd possibly with write capabilities.
    The only partition is the one created by Windows Xp, it was an ntfs with 11 gigs used..
    I was trying to create the swap/main linux partitions and ran into this...

    Heres an exact error message, shoulda wrote this down thefirst time....

    "
    Opened disk read-only-you have no permission to write"

    If I press any key I get this....

    "Fatal-error: cannot get disk size

    Press any key to exit cfdisk"


    I tryed to use the code, ignore_check=1 sudo knoppix-installer, but got no changes....

    [edit]

    Also, I only have one HDD and one cd drive, both are on seperate IDE cable and both are master.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    ok, i had to create the partitions in knoppix, didnt know that...

    used qtparted

    created primary linux partition, ext3 with 8.9 Gigs
    linuxswap 590.62 MB

    With 7.38 MB hidded that I cant use (for some reason there has always been about 7 Megs free/unusable)

    Ok I got to configure me installation, choosing usernames, administrator names/passwords etc, etc....

    I finally try to install, it strats to format and I get this long strange error message.

    "
    error:formatting of failed.
    some messages from mkfs.ext3: mkfs3.ext3 [ -c: -t -l filename] [-b block-size] [ -f fragment-size] [ -i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [ -j journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes]

    "



    i hope everyone isnt as confused by that as I am...

    appreciate the help, everyone....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    ill be damn.

    I ran "knoppix-installer" from the terminal instead of pressing ctrl-alt-f1 and it worked perfectly...Running Knoppix off my HDD right now, actually

    Kinda weird but, it works so....

    Thanks for all the help people, I REALLY DO appreciate it.

    Im sure Ill be around alot, at some point I might even be able to give others help!


    ehhh....still havnt tried to boot windows yet hope it works...Lilo boot manager showed up when I booted but didnt stay up long enough to let me check it out..

Similar Threads

  1. HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?
    By kevingpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
  2. Hard drive read access error
    By freddagg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM
  3. Read/Write Access to Windows NTFS parition?
    By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
  4. How to get enable read/write access (Hd Based)
    By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
  5. need read AND write access to some files in /var/lib
    By redrat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 03:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Win Server Datacenter 2025 64-Bit DVD 24 Core 50 DAL Brand New +  picture

Win Server Datacenter 2025 64-Bit DVD 24 Core 50 DAL Brand New +

$55.99