Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Which of these is Knoppix....?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32

    Which of these is Knoppix....?

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/guarddog

    i286
    ia64
    alpha
    etc
    etc

    I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
    Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched..


    Thanks in advance, I only know knoppix is based on debian but, thats it.have no idea which of those I need.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Which of these is Knoppix....?

    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    i286
    ia64
    alpha
    etc
    etc

    I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
    Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched..
    If you just got it working for the first time minutes ago, I certainly hope you're running from the live CD and not from an "installed" hard drive version of Knoppix.

    To answer the version question above, you likey would want the i386 version (if you wanted any). I didn't see a i286 version. Your Knoppix is running siftware that is intended for 386 and higher family processors, the other options are for other processors like the alpha, the 64 bit processors, the power PC, the ARM computers, and so on. If you had an i286 version of something it should work too on a 386/486/pentium/pentium3/pentium4/AMD/... system, but it would be better to use a higher version if it is available (in general you might select a i586 version of software if one is offered and you have a Pentium or better, when both i386 and i586 versions are offered. Linux is often offered both ways).

    However, Knoppix on the live CD has lots of software and you generally have less need of a prorgam like Guarddog whe running from a Live CD (hard to infect that Live CD), and you really can't install anything to the live CD. I think there may even be a firewall in Knoppix, but I haven't looked for it.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32

    Re: Which of these is Knoppix....?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    i286
    ia64
    alpha
    etc
    etc

    I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
    Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched..
    If you just got it working for the first time minutes ago, I certainly hope you're running from the live CD and not from an "installed" hard drive version of Knoppix.

    To answer the version question above, you likey would want the i386 version (if you wanted any). I didn't see a i286 version. Your Knoppix is running siftware that is intended for 386 and higher family processors, the other options are for other processors like the alpha, the 64 bit processors, the power PC, the ARM computers, and so on. If you had an i286 version of something it should work too on a 386/486/pentium/pentium3/pentium4/AMD/... system, but it would be better to use a higher version if it is available (in general you might select a i586 version of software if one is offered and you have a Pentium or better, when both i386 and i586 versions are offered. Linux is often offered both ways).

    However, Knoppix on the live CD has lots of software and you generally have less need of a prorgam like Guarddog whe running from a Live CD (hard to infect that Live CD), and you really can't install anything to the live CD. I think there may even be a firewall in Knoppix, but I haven't looked for it.

    ran it off the live cd off and on for past few days, finally installed to HDD...
    Dual-boot with windows Xp, i didnt jump into Linux with no backup

    running a P4 3.2 , does this mean I generally select i286?
    I dont know what they all mean/or do...i thought it went with different knoppix versions/kernals...

    again, im in the stage of learning linux.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Which of these is Knoppix....?

    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    running a P4 3.2 , does this mean I generally select i286?
    I dont know what they all mean/or do...
    .
    No, generally for most Linux things you will select i586 versions when you get to make a selection based on processor. If no i586 is offered (and nothing else that looks like your processor), but i386 is, then you can use that, although the code will be written to run on any 386 or higher processor, and so will not take advantage of many of the more powerful instructions that you have on your computer (like MMX instruction and the rest that were added after the first pentiums). One hardly even sees i286 stuff any more, i386 is close to bare minimum in the PC family, but again i286 should work for you, it again uses even less features of your system than an i386 version would. If you go back and look at the original link you gave you'll see that it was an i386 version listed, not an i286 version.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Which of these is Knoppix....?

    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    i286
    ia64
    alpha
    etc
    etc

    I JUST got knoppix working, literally minutes ago...First time ever using linux.
    Dont even know how to install any programs yet, but havnt searched..
    If you just got it working for the first time minutes ago, I certainly hope you're running from the live CD and not from an "installed" hard drive version of Knoppix.

    To answer the version question above, you likey would want the i386 version (if you wanted any). I didn't see a i286 version. Your Knoppix is running siftware that is intended for 386 and higher family processors, the other options are for other processors like the alpha, the 64 bit processors, the power PC, the ARM computers, and so on. If you had an i286 version of something it should work too on a 386/486/pentium/pentium3/pentium4/AMD/... system, but it would be better to use a higher version if it is available (in general you might select a i586 version of software if one is offered and you have a Pentium or better, when both i386 and i586 versions are offered. Linux is often offered both ways).

    However, Knoppix on the live CD has lots of software and you generally have less need of a prorgam like Guarddog whe running from a Live CD (hard to infect that Live CD), and you really can't install anything to the live CD. I think there may even be a firewall in Knoppix, but I haven't looked for it.

    ran it off the live cd off and on for past few days, finally installed to HDD...
    Dual-boot with windows Xp, i didnt jump into Linux with no backup

    running a P4 3.2 , does this mean I generally select i286?
    I dont know what they all mean/or do...i thought it went with different knoppix versions/kernals...
    Well you're in for a treat! Application installation is one area where Linux (especially Debian) kicks the crap out of wondows. It usually isn't necessary to go to debian.org and search the packages available there (but you certainly may if you like). We have a package manager called dpkg but you will usually use a frontend to dpkg called apt. So basically if you wanted to install the Firefox browser for example you do this:

    Code:
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get install mozilla-firefox
    and voila! it installs your application. But wait, there's more! There are even GUI utilities for apt like Kpackage or (my preference) Synaptic. You can browse the extensive collection of packages available and click what you want installed. Please read the apt howto for further information.

    again, im in the stage of learning linux.
    Well aren't we all?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    alright, I downloaded the i386 package...
    heres what I get when I try to run it...


    """

    Password:
    root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop# apt-get install guarddog.deb
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package guarddog.deb
    root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop#
    root@knoppixBox:/home/Goose/Desktop#

    """

    E:Couldnt find package guarddog.deb...

    The file IS on my desktop, and the name is correct..I renamed it myself so I didnt have to enter the version number...


    Im sure the debian installation is very powerful! but I need to figure it out first!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by greygooseplz
    alright, I downloaded the i386 package...
    heres what I get when I try to run it...


    """
    Well.....you don't need to download the package manually, just let apt do it.
    You almost have the syntax correct but not quite:
    Code:
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get install guarddog
    You really need to go read the howto I posted a link to. It will help you immensely.


    Im sure the debian installation is very powerful! but I need to figure it out first!
    Ahem......see above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$699.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99